PDA

View Full Version : Texas Spring Migration : 12 days in Texas, where oh where do I go?

annmpacheco
03-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Never been to Texas and it sure is a big state! Flying in to Houston mid April and thought I'd stay on the East Coastal area... Any suggestions for this wonderful adventure? Thanks so much. Ann

Sidharth Kodikal
03-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Check out the pdf at the link below.
It suggests three well planned trips that cover all the great locations in and around the galveston area.

http://www.galvestonfeatherfest.com/pdf/GINTC_Birding_brochure_2008.pdf

Look up Galveston Featherfest 2014. It's an annual event. I haven't had a chance to attend one yet, but it is packed with events that might interest you.

For Warblers, I would definitely recommend High Island. We had a fallout day on my first visit there a few years ago. It's an amazing experience.
Visit the rookery there for Roseate Spoonbills, egrets etc.
Do visit the Bolivar flats for shorebirds.
Anahuac NWR, Brazoria and lots of other great spots there (described in the pdf above)

Have a great trip!

Erik Hagstrom
03-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Similar question but I will be in the Austin area early to mid May and looking to spend a few days at a photo-ranch. Appreciate any suggestions.

David N Smith
03-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Try this website: www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wildlife/wildlife-trails/coastal/upper. This should get you to the birding section in and around the Galveston area. If you do not enter the /and words after us it will take you a broader website.
I was in Galveston in December and places I went and found birds was 1) East Beach. Drive to Seawall Blvd. turn left and follow it to the gulf. 2) Galveston State Park. Drive to Seawall Blvd. turn right and drive about 8 miles to the Park. The entrance is on the left. 3) Texas City Dike. 4) Follow the info on the above website.
A couple of good places to eat are: Kelley's out on I-45 about 10 miles or so out and Salsas is a good Mexican place on Seawall Blvd. near Academy Sports.

Good luck.

David

Sidharth Kodikal
03-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Similar question but I will be in the Austin area early to mid May and looking to spend a few days at a photo-ranch. Appreciate any suggestions.

There's Los Madrones in Dripping Springs (very near to Austin). You might get to photograph the endangered Golden Cheeked Warbler there.
Most of the popular ranches are in the Rio Grande valley. Look up Laguna Seca, Santa Clara, Martin's refuge all seem to be popular destinations. The Rio Grande valley is a good 5-6 hrs drive from Austin.
http://imagesforconservation.org/nature-photo-tourism/ranches/

I've never been to a photo ranch, so don't have any in-depth information. Hopefully others on this forum will be able to share reviews.

Austin by itself is not a great location for bird photography (imho, and for my "style" of photography). In fact, I haven't stepped out to photograph locally in over a year and a half. But your mileage may vary...

Good luck

Jeff Parker
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
As far as I know Los Madrones is no longer hosting photographers. Block Creek is good.

For the OP the above suggestions are all good. Although not a migration destination check out Brazos Bend State Park. Also if you're going to be here when they are having a tour the Attwater Prairie Chicken Refuge would get you a chance to at least see the rarest bird in the U.S.

I have property between Austin and Houston and get a ton of painted buntings. They generally don't arrive until about May 1st.

Fred Bourque
03-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Ann
I am a member of the Galveston Featherfest folks. If you can make it down during our event, there will be several field trips to some of the migration areas in and around Galveston. These are very informative as is the workshops that are offered. Also an area to check out is High Islands Smith Oaks. Nesting Great Egrets and other birds by the thousands. Very nice platforms to shoot from, just bring bug spray as the mosquitoes can be quite bad.

http://www.houstonaudubon.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/894/MenuGroup/High+Island.htm

Bill Dix
03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the useful links above. I'll also be in the area for a few days in April (High Island, Bolivar Flats), and found this information very helpful. Note that the oil spill of several days ago will have compromised some of the best habitat. It looks like the Texas City Dike area will be particularly hard hit. Hopefully it won't affect the area east of the pass quite as much, but it comes at a terrible time for the birds (and for the Featherfest). Ann, keep an eye on the news of the spill as it develops, since it might affect your choice of locations.

Fred Bourque
03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Yes do keep an eye on it. The spill has limited ferry access across to Bolivar, and I am not sure when it will return to 24 hour service. The only other way is via I-10 to Winnie, then south to High Island. I had planned going to Bolivar this weekend but with the Ferry sporadic, I think I will head to Brazos Bend State Park instead.
If I do head to Galveston there are a few island parks that harbor birds that should not be affected by the spill.
As far as Lodging, their are multiple hotels along the Seawall. I recommend The San Luis Resort, http://www.sanluisresort.com/ very nice rooms that over look the Gulf.