PDA

View Full Version : A Profusion of Color

Norm Dulak
03-20-2014, 06:07 PM
D7000 w/28-300mm lens @ 250mm, hand held
ISO 400; f/11, 1/1600 sec; MM -0.67
Standard CS6 adjustments; Nik Tonal Contrast

This image was captured at Horseshoe Island, which lies below the Antarctic Circle. Of the many hundreds of photographs that I brought back from my trip, this one was perhaps the most striking, in terms of texture and color range. The pink and dark stone faces contrast with the white of the glacier flowing to the water. The grey sky adds another element. Then there is the ice formation, with its white and rich aquamarine and blue hues. Finally, the water on that day was an especially deep blue color.

All comments and suggestions are as always welcome.

Norm

Don Nelson
03-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Norm,
Interesting composition. Lovely cyan colors in the berg
If it were mine, I'd be losing the blue cast on the rockwalls behind in order to open up the colors on the walls.
A little masking with some additional contrast increase in the rockwall, and a little selective colors with masking to bring up the neutrals of the details in the glacial snowfield...
Maybe something like this:
(Edit: and you will want to mask back the sky and a little bit of the gray fields on the glacier -- this became evident after the posting software put it up but wasn't so distinct on the monitor here at home)

David Stephens
03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Norm, I love the composition and variety of elements and colors. I agree with Don regarding added Contrast, to help cut the haze some. Personally, I think Don went too far with his "opening up" of the colors; however, you were there, so you'll need to be the judge of the right balance. There's a tendency on this forum to rid all images of blue cast, even when it's actually there. I can't image the cast not being actually present with that blue sea, blue sky and glacier ice. My preference is to tone it down slightly, but without removing it entirely. Still, that's a matter of personal preference.

Norm Dulak
03-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks Don and Dave. Your comments on contrast and color correction are interesting and helpful. And the repost work is really appreciated.

Andrew McLachlan
03-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi Norm, I do like the comp and Don's repost to reduce the blue cast helps nicely, but I still find the blues and greens in the iceberg to be too much.

Norm Dulak
03-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi Norm, I do like the comp and Don's repost to reduce the blue cast helps nicely, but I still find the blues and greens in the iceberg to be too much.

Thanks, Andrew. I agree that saturation in the iceberg could be reduced a little.

Morkel Erasmus
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Nice textures and detail here Norm - I agree with the assessment above by my fellow mod :bg3:
Nice convergence of diagonals in your composition here.