PDA

View Full Version : Glossy Ibis

Mike Poole
03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
A couple of months ago a group of 4 of these birds spent a couple of weeks living in a field in Bolton near Manchester, England - far away from where they should be!

Lots of photographers were present, so I tried for something different, shooting them against a bright sky. Conditions were overcast, so a blue sky was not an option, and by getting low I went for a 3-d effect, trying to use all the out of focus areas. I'll let you tell me if it worked or not

Canon 1d3, 400mm f5.6L, 1/400th f5.6, this is the full frame image. A slight contrast boost with a little added fill light and blacks in lightroom, and a bit of selective sharpening around the eye

Ashley Cohen
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Very nice image, I like the Shallow Dof and great detail on the birds face.

Iain Barker
03-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Well done Mike.
I have never managed to find any of these yet and can't believe these must hove only been about 15 minutes for where I live. Which area of Bolton were they at?
I like what you have done and the exposure on the bird looks good. I find the OOF grass a the front a little distracting but don't mind it too much. I wonder if the image need a bit of CW rotation as the bird looks to me like it is leaning to the left?
TFS
Iain

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Very nice Ibis, I have never seen this one posted here.
I would have prefered a green BG but I guess that this one works fine also. Very sharp face and nice OOF foreground.

Mike Poole
03-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Ashley - thanks for the comment, how are you finding the 200-400 compared to your old canon 300mm? I'm looking at going down the Canon route but still haven't ruled it out

Iain - There is a pub called Bob's Smithy Inn on Chorley Old Road, quite close to Burnt Edge. They were living in the fieldjust behind there. Thanks for the suggestion, I have other shots from that same series without the foreground blur, but personally liked this option, obviuosly opinions vary, and that's something I want to get out of this forum.

Juan Carlos - thanks for stopping by and commenting. Most people were shooting with the green background (I shot a fair few myself!) so I just tried to be different. Of course different is not always better!

Iain Barker
03-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the information Mike. I will keep and ear out for if they return to the same area again.
Also I have to say the more I come back to your image the more I like the OOF foreground.

Stu Bowie
03-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi Mike, well done on getting the focus on the head and bill, and I do like the muddied bill. This is a different perspective as you are looking up to the Ibis. I would have maybe stood up a bit and captured an eye level perspective. The angled pose of the Ibis works well, and cant help thinking that some CW rotation is needed, as the Ibis seems to be leaning forward, as the right leg is 'leaning' forward.

Rob Melone
03-21-2014, 12:47 PM
It worked Mike and very well at that! Nicely exposed and fine sharpness of the head and bill. I also like the pov and how the bird is tipped forward with the surreal looking grass.