PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Duck

Rob Melone
03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Another shot of this fascinating duck only this one was captured with an overcast sky. It's a pretty natural shot with the shadow of the open wing showing on the chestnut side. I've tried to bring out more detail but it just isn't there. Anyway, I hope that you like it!

Nikon D7000
Nikkor 300mm f/4 w/1.4x teleconverter
1/1250
f/5.6
ISO 400

Manual exposure
Hand held

C & C are welcome!

Arthur Morris
03-19-2014, 05:24 PM
EXP & SH look fine. It was not totally overcast as there are, as you noted, shadows on the bird. The image design is quite awkward with the bird seemingly stuck into the frame. Removing the TC would have helped.

Iain Barker
03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Hi Rob

Your exposure and IQ look really good. I think you could lose the rock at the lower left by cropping about half way in from the edge to the wing and then slightly from the bottom giving you a cleaner portrait. WDYT?

TFS
Iain

Rob Melone
03-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Artie and Iain, thanks for commenting. I like the peek-a-boo design of this image with the chest out, wings back and prominent body and head position. I also like the chestnut markings against the gray water and jetty at the bottom which I feel serves as an anchor for the intended design. However, I now realize that when working on a jetty I need to remove the TC (as suggested) and compose my images better in the frame, opposed to crop only compositions. I’m not one to remove my lens on a jetty mid-winter with howling winds so I will need to remove the TC for the entire shoot which will put me at a disadvantage for sea ducks in the inlet. Perhaps I’ll just buy myself a good tele-zoom (anyone have a 200-400 they want to sell?). Thanks again!

Arthur Morris
03-20-2014, 09:18 AM
As noted by Iain, a good crop from the bottom is the best option here as the rock simply ruins things. That would still yield an awkward composition but a simple scrolling crop shows that it would be preferable to the original post. For changing TCs in the wind simply turn your back to the wind and keep the rig close to your body.

Rob Melone
03-20-2014, 12:28 PM
I'll work on this tonight. Thanks again, artie and Iain!

Rob Melone
03-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Here is the updated image that I must admit I like even more. Thanks again artie and Iain for caring to comment.

Arthur Morris
03-21-2014, 01:14 PM
YAW. It is much better but only by 1,000%.... Thanks for being open :)