PDA

View Full Version : Theme Mud'n many miles (C)

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Lots of miles and experience reflected on this face. Snapped at the Rhino & Lion Nature Reserve closeby. PS used to balance colors and increase sharpness a little.

D600, f/11, 1/13s, 1250 ISO, 160mm. Tamron 70-300mm, beanbag on car window.

Morkel Erasmus
03-20-2014, 04:36 AM
Hi Tobie. Looks like a mean old boy. As far as I know, the ungulates on the Rhino & Lion reserve are pretty free-roaming and fending for themselves, so perhaps the (C) caption is not necessary here? Anyway, back to the image...I like the detail you captured.

1. Why f11?
Even if he was quite close, on that lens f8 should be enough for this guy's head...?

2. Why the slow SS?
The eye seems sharp but the entire lower half of the face/head seem blurry, most probably due to your slow SS.

I'd have preferred if the boss and horns were all below the horizon line/hill in the background. I also think your colour balance or white balance is too warm, too red and yellow?
Lastly - did you blur the background some more? There's quite a visible halo/ridge running along the buffalo's snout and face...

:e3

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Hi Tobie. Looks like a mean old boy. As far as I know, the ungulates on the Rhino & Lion reserve are pretty free-roaming and fending for themselves, so perhaps the (C) caption is not necessary here? Anyway, back to the image...I like the detail you captured.

1. Why f11?
Even if he was quite close, on that lens f8 should be enough for this guy's head...?

2. Why the slow SS?
The eye seems sharp but the entire lower half of the face/head seem blurry, most probably due to your slow SS.

I'd have preferred if the boss and horns were all below the horizon line/hill in the background. I also think your colour balance or white balance is too warm, too red and yellow?
Lastly - did you blur the background some more? There's quite a visible halo/ridge running along the buffalo's snout and face...

:e3

Morkel, thanks for your valued comments yet again. I was not sure whether the '(C)' was needed or not so I've added it to play safe. My thinking was this: If the lions needed a (C) and the only difference between them and wild lions is that they do not hunt for themselves, then the buffalo also needed a (C) because the only difference between them and the ones in the wild is that they're not beeing hunted? It would be nice to have clarity on this because it might be my imagination, but it's as if one gets fewer comments on (C) threads.

f/11 was to get as much sharpness on the animal as possible, but you're right - f/8 with a faster shutter speed would have done a better job (this was one of my first photo's right after entering the reserve, so the computer at top has not kicked in properly yet! :w3).

I would also have preferred the horison a bit higher, but unfortunately one can not change that...

The red cast was much higher and I brought it down quite some - was not sure where to draw the line but I could bring it down some more. The problem as explained in some of my other images from this area, is that these animals roam on bright red soil and also roll in it, in the case of the buffalo's. The August end-of-winter grasslands do not really help much either. I've used my sky as a reference point to decide whether it was still red-ish and did not think so. But I'm open to changing it a bit more as long as it does not change te real feel from what it looked like that morning.

I have not done any BG blurring in PP but I might have removed an object in the distance at about eye level, close to the head. I'll go back to make sure - PS might have left signs of it in PP.

Neil Burton
03-20-2014, 07:25 AM
I agree BG looks a little odd, like removing colour from one channel only, overall work a bit orangey. With hindsight f8, but hey, I have shot leopards on BULB setting so I won't talk :)

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Hi Tobie - As to the (C), I think if the animals are fed, cared for or fenced so as not to be subjected to predators then they are still captive even if they have a vast area to roam. I don't think the fact that it is captive is why it gets less comments. The people who tend to get the most comments are people who actively participate in the forum on a frequent basis and get to know the other members by posting lots of comments on other people's images. The more you put into BPN, the more you will get out of it and also the faster you will learn. Also some threads just give rise to discussions and/or reposts that generate more back and forth exchanges and a higher comment count.

Morkel has given you a thorough critique. I agree with Neil that the image seems too orange. I took it into PS and substantially reduced the yellows and think it looks much better.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
03-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Good comments above already. If you do any cloning, I would consider removing that large dark blob directly in front of the buffalo. It is too vague to be recognized as anything and pulls my eye away from the buffalo. I totally understand "the computer at top has not kicked in properly yet! :w3)." Been there, done that!

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-22-2014, 01:13 AM
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139163&d=1395468487

Reds lowered, 'large dark blob' removed (thanks Nancy - true comment, I've missed that!) and brightness of area right in front of eyes reduced a bit to reduce halo perception (thanks Morkel!).

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-22-2014, 01:18 AM
Hi Tobie - As to the (C), I think if the animals are fed, cared for or fenced so as not to be subjected to predators then they are still captive even if they have a vast area to roam. Rachel

Thanks Rachel - our thinking is thus the same about this.

Nancy Bell
03-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Nice result with your adjustments and cloning!

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Tobie, I would second Rachel that it's not whether an image has a (C) next to it...but how the author/photographer is engrained in the community. You are new here and you have been growing in your craft step by step. Engagement will grow as you grow and as you deliver thoughtful critique on the photos of others. We have always maintained that you don't need to be an experienced photographer to be able to give helpful critique, and part of what we aim to foster is to help people become better at critiquing as well as photography and processing in their own right. :5

Rachel - I differ with you in that I feel herbivores that roam free in a large area (even if fenced, many reserves in South Africa are large and fenced due to human settlements around them), graze on wild growth and drink from local water sources should not be labelled with a (C), regardless of whether there is a predator who preys on them in that particular ecosystem. Predators have been removed from ecosystems through hunting and human/animal conflict in many parts, while the "prey" still live a free life mostly unhaltered by human intervention :e3.

As to the image, Tobie:

Your repost has a strong green cast, most evident in the black hair of the buffalo, but also in the background. I corrected that in this repost, and also enhanced the tone of the subject by burning the shadows (6%) on the buff and dodging midtones (6%) in PS. It's not 100% where I would want it, still a lot of yellow/red in there but might be correct due to your description of the conditions. Your thoughts?

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-23-2014, 11:33 AM
[snip] Engagement will grow as you grow and as you deliver thoughtful critique on the photos of others.

[snip] I feel herbivores that roam free in a large area (even if fenced) [snip] should not be labelled with a (C) [snip]

As to the image, Tobie: Your repost has a strong green cast snip] enhanced the tone of the subject by burning the shadows (6%) on the buff and dodging midtones (6%) in PS. It's not 100% where I would want it, still a lot of yellow/red in there but might be correct due to your description of the conditions. Your thoughts?

Morkel, thanks for your remarks and your time espent on the image. I agree with you about the green cast - not sure where that slipped in. As far as the shadows are concerned: I deliberately tried to keep as much of that as possible. In general I dislike too-dark shadows in a coloured image but that's just me. I must admit I don't know what the generally accepted standard is in this regard. I've got an idea you've run into the trap which I've experienced when removing the greens: the reds start creeping in again. I've loaded my latest version which I think addressed both color casts. WDYT of this one?

I thought a lot about the '(C)' issue before my last post and one can get very technical about it. For example during extreme droughts in the Kruger Park, the herbivores are fed supplements (and/or foods) and some of the water holes and selected drinking spots are kept filled by means of human efforts. Does that mean that all animals in this park (which is larger than some European countries) are to be lablelled '(C)'? That implies that South Africa only has '(C)' animals and we'll have to go to our neighbouring countries to photograph 'non-C' animals. Also - the '(C)' animals in South Africa's large reserves (hunting/hunted or not) are being grouped together with caged animals (in zoo's etc) and as a newby to the forum I'm not sure if that is how it should be. Regardless of the answers - I think it will be good to have a clear '(C)' definition so that we all know what we're talking about when we're labelling someting under '(C)'. On the other hand, if there's no general consensus about it, let the status quo simply prevail where we try and use common sense when labeling an animal as a '(C)' animal.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139196&d=1395592053

Steve Kaluski
03-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi Tobie, I think it might be worth just recapping a few things which may help, I hope. :bg3:

Firstly and we are all guilty, both Mod & Member at times, (apart from Gabriela) in that we do not always put some key points down in our intro, that, after certainly replies, points are disclosed, so if you can, just add any thoughts, reservations, concerns, likes/dislikes in relation to the image, as it helps to build more of a picture, about the picture, if you know what I mean and so things like shadows can be addressed in the replies for example.

A lot of the issues raised can very easily be addressed in the RAW conversion, WB, Shadows, Highlights etc, seriously they are ones that once done, means that all that is left is refinements and personal touches. Providing the image is well exposed you should have a well balanced image to start with. Yes, there will always be some adjustment required and in both LR & PS it is so easy as you can see the Blacks, Shadows, Highlight etc and by moving the sliders you can address them in seconds and watch them disappear right in front of your eyes. If I take your OP and start with the WB, sampling the 'grey' to the right of the eye I can get 50.1: 50.4:49.9 as an initial base to then start from. If there are any casts then either HSL or in PS as an adjustment layer can resolve this, but as I have said to you, you need to either use NX RAW converter, LR or PS and then toggle between the two and PS is the software for your refinements. I know the investment is not cheap and there are aways around that as I have mentioned to you, but I think you will in the future, receive the same points and issues, but unable to resolve them because of the lack of software. In all honesty a good RAW convertor and PS is all you need at this stage, later you can look perhaps at other third party options, but get the basics addressed first.

If I take the image, yes there is a fundamental issue in the techs and I think you were lucky to get away with what you have, based on 1/13, it's also too tight especially at the foot. Again shooting with a zoom you could have resolved this when you looked at the LED for composition, unlike a fixed lens where you are stuck with the framed content. There are a lot of factors that go into taking a shot and so changing position i.e. moving the vehicle to obtain a lower or higher position to address the horizon I'm sure could have been done, this is where planning ahead comes into play at times, shoot, then move into another position. If you know the shot you want, track the animal, move into position ahead of them, and wait for them to come into position, fire, job done.

Regarding 'C' it's either Wild or Captive and if it's supplemented with feed, live stock and or fenced then I would run with Captive in this case, zoos are straight forward.

Finally Tobie I would suggest when shooting remember to check your setting and try to avoid similar errors, however we all make errors at the best of times, but it's damage limitations and with time you will check things without noticing, as it will become automatic/instinctive. I would also recommend you book a workshop with Morkel as you mentioned a while ago, so you can cover and build on the basics and refresh things on a 1 to 1. Sadly all my time is allocated when I fly into SA later this year, otherwise I would gladly spend a half day with you.

cheers
Steve

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Steve, thanks for your comment. I'm not sure whether I've miscommunicated something somewhere, but I've always been using LR4 (first option) and PS6 (more advanced adjustments) for my RAW conversions and surely that's a competent combo? I think the trick at this stage is to see things through you more advanced & experienced photographers' eyes and that will come with time. For example when Morkel mentioined a green cast on the image I immediately saw it but I think we sometimes get so involved in other issues around our pics that we miss the obvious flaws unintentionally.

I'm not trying to make excuses for errors but I think we all sometimes miss an important setting when shooting in manual, especially when changing major scenes for example when switching from a studio or fireworks shoot the day before, to a wildlife shoot early the next morning. In time we learn to check at least the crucial settings before dramatically changing scenes. Or am I alone? :bugeyed:

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Regarding 'C' it's either Wild or Captive and if it's supplemented with feed, live stock and or fenced then I would run with Captive in this case, zoos are straight forward.

When you get to SA later this year, pay a visit to our Kruger Park (or other large) nature reserve(s), grab the first lion (or buffalo, depending on how brave you are) by the beard and tell him that he's not wild. If you get a possitive result, I'll mark all SA animals as '(C)'... :w3

Steve Kaluski
03-24-2014, 02:37 AM
Hi Tobie, I thought you were using PS Elements, hence the referral to PS. If you can upgrade to LR5 (well it's now 5.3), it's better, more refined and has some neat options too.

Casts are generally scene straight away, although some are/can be more subtle, again this is where you may find leaving an image for a day and revisiting may help? IMHO getting those more 'basic ' areas addressed as I mentioned earlier is your main task, don't get drawn into the detail, it's the 'bigger picture' you need to focus attention on.

I'm not trying to make excuses for errors but I think we all sometimes miss an important setting when shooting in manual, especially when changing major scenes for example when switching from a studio or fireworks shoot the day before, to a wildlife shoot early the next morning.

Just take your time, if you know what you are shooting that day then always check your settings as soon as you switch the camera on. I assume you check things like battery levels, your cards are formatted with no data on them etc, if so, check your settings then? Getting into a routine is hard at first as there are things you do forget, but in time they become automatic, make a check list if that helps and tick them off.

With regard to Wild/Captive it's quite straight forward and to date no other member has had an issue with this clarification. Also, being being 'Captive' has no baring as to the amount of views or replies a posting receives, so no worries there either, it's time now to park it and move on. :S3:

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-24-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi Tobie, I thought you were using PS Elements, hence the referral to PS. If you can upgrade to LR5 (well it's now 5.3), it's better, more refined and has some neat options too.

I assume you check things like battery levels, your cards are formatted with no data on them etc, if so, check your settings then?

With regard to Wild/Captive it's quite straight forward

I'm considering joining the CC clan so I should not have to worry about staying up to date thereafter.

My batteries are always recharged the moment I get home and with 2 x 32Gb cards in the D600 I only clean them after every 2nd / 3rd shoot. But that's no excuse - bottomline: the settings should be checked before each shoot. Maybe a list of settings to tick off before a shoot to ensure one does not miss anything is not a bad idea?

The wild / captive was nothing more than an interesting discussion (which I have not started, by the way :w3) but I agree with you - the usual gut-feel should be spot-on 99% of the time.

Steve Kaluski
03-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Tobie, with everything else going on to achieve an image, making life simple I am all in favour of.

Re captive/wild I think our exchanges both on & off have dealt/covered things now. :S3: