PDA

View Full Version : Feather

Nancy Bell
03-18-2014, 05:45 PM
This is a delicate body feather from a Stellar's Jay. Every so often I'll find a pile of feathers as a jay succumbs to the harsher side of reality. I photographed this inside (it is still snowing here!) with a macro lens on a white bkgd. My goal was to create a delicate Asian brush-like image. Maybe it needs a chop like Pauls' recent Snowy Owl?

First layer was fractalius at a 48% darken blend to bring out the lines. A reduced layer of topaz simplify 4 buz sim b & w to simplify the image. Another layer with PS filter diffuse glow and a layer of Pixel Bender, oil paint.

Cheryl Slechta
03-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Nancy, this is beautiful as are Stellar's Jays. I really like the Asian feel to this one and I like the combination of filters and the hint of their gorgeous blue. I think I'd crop a little from the left edge to remove that convex portion on the edge (probably a function of the PB?):S3:

Paul Lagasi
03-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Very nice image, the little hint of blue is perfect, well done..I am going to start looking for feathers soon...

Dennis Bishop
03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
The delicate, wispy bend reminds me of ballet or artistic gymnastic floor exercise. There are elements of strength, balance, and beauty. I like how it explodes from the bottom left and, then, floats. The blue is wonderful.

Anita Bower
03-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Soft, delicate, beautiful. Love that touch of blue. Very effective against the white bg. I like the editing. Did you put a frame or some such around it? It seems to distort things in the lower left corner.

Nancy Bell
03-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone! There is no frame and I think Cheryl is correct in that pixel bender created that odd effect in the lower left corner. I think I'll crop it away.