PDA

View Full Version : WAXWINGS

gary ellwein
03-17-2014, 12:40 AM
My local outdoor haunts have been graced with large numbers of migrating waxwings. Some of the flocks consist of hundreds of birds. Spring in south east Idaho is synonymous with wind. The birds in this image were literally whipping in the wind. Nothing like using in flight set up and technique on perched birds. I prefer groups composed of uneven numbers. This group originally numbered five. The fifth subject was most uncooperative relative to body and head angle and was cut. I used Topaz Simplify with a Photoshop canvas texture and a Nik CEP4 border. For the birders in the group, the two central birds are Cedar Waxwings, the peripheral two are Bohemian Waxwings.

Dennis Bishop
03-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Very, very nicely done. I like the strong diagonal and that you didn't get rid of the fourth bird even though that would've made an odd number. That tree in the background is the icing on the cake. What a great idea!

Wendy Kates
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Well, this image brought a big smile to my face. Waxwings are lovely, and the way you processed the image enhanced their beauty. I love the diagonal lines, the symmetry, the texture, and the tree in the background. Beautiful!

Nancy Bell
03-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I really like how these colorful waxwings just pop off that white canvas bkgd! At least these 4 birds created a nice composition, and had their heads pretty much the same direction. And the bonus of 2 different species! Great idea and execution with the faded image in the bkgd! And your faded border further supports that fading bkgd.

Paul Lagasi
03-17-2014, 07:47 PM
I agree with above comments, really like the bird laden tree in the background. We have not seen any of these birds this year. Nice composition

Kerry Perkins
03-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Great image Gary! I did notice the two species and I love how they posed so perfectly for you. The watercolor look is perfect and the texture really adds to that effect. Love the accents of other birds in the background. Super job all around!

Cheryl Slechta
03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi, Gary, gorgeous image! I like everything about the image and especially love the background tree with birds - I thought it had been copied and added as a background at first. It's great to have two species on the branch. Beautifully done.:S3:

gary ellwein
03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks to all for the kind comments. Cheryl, the bg birds were added from another image.

Anita Bower
03-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Very nice work. I like the clarity of the birds and branches against the white bg. I'm the odd woman out in finding the background tree and birds distracting.