PDA

View Full Version : Symbol of Summertime

Randy Stout
03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
For me, the return of the common loons to Michigan heralds the return of summer and hours spent floating about with these captivating creatures.

This image was from a foggy am last June. Probably a male, but not easy to be sure.

D4 600VR f/4 1/500s ISO 800 On Wimberly mounted in the bottom of my little boat "Loonie Too!"

Post: Slight crop for comp. Selective sharpening. Contrast adjustment on the bird only, because of the dense fog

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
03-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Very pleasing image and loving the moodiness!

Miguel Palaviccini
03-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Randy,

Glad to see the loons coming out again from you :) I like that you kept the fog look to the image, as it gives me the sense of an early morning shoot.

It looks like you have a natural vignetter, which works well with both the darks on the head and the overall mood. I may take a look at a version with a little more room on top and a little less on the bottom.

Miguel

Randall Farhy
03-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Randy, this one conveys a peaceful mood. Love the softness surrounding the bird. Other than a little room top, it's gorgeous as is.

Grace Scalzo
03-16-2014, 12:00 PM
So quiet and wonderful. Thanks for sharing. That little head tilt is perfect.

Sandy Witvoet
03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
You are making me drool, Randy.... Perfect, peaceful and serene. Great comp and techs.

Missy Mandel
03-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Here's to the loons return!! Your image is beautiful. Love the background and soft colours.

AdityaPadhye
03-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Lovely image! Love the moody feel, the fog makes it look so peaceful and serene

Stu Bowie
03-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Randy, tranquility at its best. Love the mood and the presence of the fog. Overall well exposed, and the detail on the head is showing up nicely. I bet you are aching to get back to photograph your favourite subject.

Having said that, I havent been back to my favourite location to photograph kingfishers for nearly a year, as the dam got very, very low. After all the recent rains and flooding in all parts of SA, I believe the dam is 'overfull' so it wont be long before I go out for a visit there. :w3

Rob Melone
03-17-2014, 01:05 PM
It's a beautiful moment in nature Randy captured very well!

Holger Leyrer
03-17-2014, 05:07 PM
I like the low angle, colors and the softness surrounding the bird. It is a very beautiful image. Well done, Randy.

Satish Ranadive
03-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Spectacular image of beautiful bird. Lovely composition. Rest as usual great, Randy Sir.

Regards,
Satish.