PDA

View Full Version : Black-capped Chickadee with Sumac seed

Missy Mandel
03-14-2014, 05:41 PM
When food is scarce in the winter, the chickadee's will eat sumac seeds. I like to use Sumac as a natural perch for these little guys.
f 6.3
1 / 320
ISO 640
+ ⅓
500 mm

Sidharth Kodikal
03-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Perfect exposure with nice details in the whites and blacks. I love the perch with the bit of snow on the sumac seeds. Excellent pose with both feet visible and perfect eye contact. Food in the mouth is a big plus.
Very nice and complementary BG too.
If anything, I'd crop from the right to make this less square (nothing against square comps). Or if possible, I'd see what a horizontal comp looks like.
Excellent work, Missy. Welcome to BPN and looking forward to more!

Raymond Lee
03-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Lovely perch shot! Nice details on the bird and the perch. I agree that food on the beak adds to the image. I also agree to crop from the right and have more room on the left, and create a horizontal orientation.

dankearl
03-14-2014, 10:20 PM
This is outstanding…..
One of the best chickadee photos I have seen.
Very well done.

Miguel Palaviccini
03-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Missy,

First, welcome to BPN! Based on this post, I definitely look forward to seeing more.

I'm usually not a fan of the square crop, but the diagonals here (from both the perch and the chickadee lend well to it. That said, I'd remove a bit from the right and add a bit to the left. That's all!

Miguel

keith mitchell
03-15-2014, 03:27 AM
Crisp and clean is my first thoughts, it really is a super first post and will look out for more.

Keith.:S3:

Frank Schauf
03-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Beautiful perch and nice composition.

Missy Mandel
03-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Missy,

First, welcome to BPN! Based on this post, I definitely look forward to seeing more.

I'm usually not a fan of the square crop, but the diagonals here (from both the perch and the chickadee lend well to it. That said, I'd remove a bit from the right and add a bit to the left. That's all!

Miguel

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about a better crop Miguel and Raymond. I do appreciate the feedback very much. This is my biggest struggle and I think joining a camera club has made it worse! Rules, too central yada yada yada. I will keep looking at others for inspiration.

Satish Ranadive
03-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Missy, considering the pose of the bird and perch, I don't mind square composition, looks nice.However you try different composition as suggested.
Excellent image, beautiful exposure, colors and BG. Love the way bird pops up against lovely BG.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
03-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I always liked to see them on a Sumac flower. Great behavior shot with excellent pose and open beak with food. Well done, Missy.

Stu Bowie
03-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Hi Missy, a big welcome to BPN, and Im sure you will enjoy the ride. Lots to learn and share as you go along.

Excellent exposure on the little guy, and I like the feeding pose. Well thought out on creating this perch, and just love the food in the beak. Im also not too keen on square crops, so taking some off the right as Sid suggested, and adding to the left will createmore of a traditional landscape comp. Maybe a touch off the top too. Thats a sweet smooth BG.

Marina Scarr
03-16-2014, 10:30 AM
This is simply one of the best chickadee images I have seen. The details are just amazing. Love the perch and the BG, and the food in the beak is a huge plus. The color combination is powerful. I think I would recompose for a vertical presentation if you have the canvas. This is a magazine cover.

Missy Mandel
03-16-2014, 01:30 PM
This is simply one of the best chickadee images I have seen. The details are just amazing. Love the perch and the BG, and the food in the beak is a huge plus. The color combination is powerful. I think I would recompose for a vertical presentation if you have the canvas. This is a magazine cover.
Thank you so much Marina. Your comments are very much appreciated. I had lots of canvas, and have since re-cropped as per your suggestion(and others) and I love it! I joined this forum to get the expert critique I need :)