PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Canyon Dusk Pano

Michael Pancier
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Found this sequence while going through last years shot. I had not been able to combine them with auto stitch, but was able with CS 3 Photomerge.

5d + 17-40L @ 17mm
f/22
2.5 Sec.

Cropped from the sides to keep foreground and used Viveza in post processing.

Granted that the light was indirect incident light only; but it still looks flat. I've tried boosting contrast, but do not like the result.

Suggestions appreciated and most welcome.

David Kennedy
05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Michael,
Nicely composed. I would agree that it feels a little flat, and I also wonder if the color temperature isn't a little too cold. (I appreciate that this may be closer to the way the scene really was when you were there.) Local Contrast Enhancement would likely help to bring the foreground closer and push back the background to give it some more depth. LCE is really an umbrella term for a number of different techniques that achieve the same thing, but Unsharp Mask at 20% and Radius 50 is a good starting point.

Robert Amoruso
05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Michael,

I like the composition - well done. The arc in the FG coincides nicely with the arc of the spires in the BG. You have good balance on the left and right side of the image with the larger middle ground rock faces. Agree with David on the cool tone and contrast.

Bob Ettinger
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Good composition but like the others said, the light is a little flat.