PDA

View Full Version : Fairies!

Kerry Perkins
03-13-2014, 04:46 PM
You'll be sorry that you encouraged me to paint... :bg3:

The biggest challenge in using this technique on people is the skin. It's quite difficult to make skin looked painted but not smear it up so it looks bad. I'm not saying that I necessarily succeeded, but I'm learning! A couple of mixer brushes, a texture image, and canvas texture applied. Rather than masking the canvas texture on the faces and arms, I used another mixer brush on a copy of the final layer to mix it out instead of just removing it.

Kerry Perkins
03-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Here is the original for comparison.

Dennis Bishop
03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't know enough about mixer brushes to understand how you used one to get rid of the canvas texture locally, but it worked nicely. You also did a great job of transitioning from the girls to the background, and I expect that wasn't easy. Although I don't mind the shadows in the lower half of the original too much, I'd like to see them toned down in the painted version. Is it possible to load the brush from an area without shadows and paint that with a spacing between bristles that would leave some shadow streaks but minimize the effect?

Kerry Perkins
03-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks Dennis! I was concerned about the shadow at the bottom also, but was curious to get feedback on it. It is possible to apply color, which could be picked from the brighter area, with the mixer brush. I am just learning this process myself and have not tried that yet, but I like your suggestion. I will have a go at that.

Diane Miller
03-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow! Whatever you did, keep doing it!

Hazel Grant
03-13-2014, 10:41 PM
This technique really made the fairies "fairyland-ish" What a difference! I see the shadow you were concerned about, but also love the faces. Keep working!

gary ellwein
03-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Kerry, you have captured the essence of the pixies in the painting by featuring the beautiful faces and hands. My attention is directed to their eyes. I much prefer the painting. Well done.

Cheryl Slechta
03-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Kerry, the painting is a beautiful transformation! I love the "impishness" that is conveyed.:S3:

Nancy Bell
03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Whimsical and fun! It takes the girls out of the very ordinary worldly bkgd of the original image and puts them in wonderland! I like the blues in the sky and tree picking up on the blues in the girls.

Mitch Carucci
03-15-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't really know what you are doing, but the effect is masterful. Look forward to seeing more!