View Full Version : Long Tailed Duck

William Dickson
03-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Canon 7D
Canon F/2.8 300mm 1x4 TC
F/6.3
1/800
ISO 500

This bird is a rarity for my local harbour, and is difficult to get close to. So, I was happy to get this shot of it today. Unfortunately, I could not get on the same level as the bird, as I was on the harbour wall and the water was low. I could have used a faster shutter speed, but i thought the movement on the wing gave the image a more realistic feeling. (thoughts on this please)

All advice very much appreciated

Karl Egressy
03-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Nice capture of the wing flapping.

Iain Barker
03-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Well Done William, I think you timed this image very well and i really like the pose of the bird.
As you mention your image could be improved if you had been able to get on level with the bird. Other than that I think you everything right.

Doug Brown
03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
You did the best you could with the elevation difference and the light angle. I'd probably tone down the whites a bit.

Rob Melone
03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
It's a very nice shot William with the wings outstretched and trademark long-tail. Good feather detail on the side. Head and neck are always tough with these guys in this plumage, especially with bright sun. You can try and reduce the hightlights but that usually does not help with this high contrast bird. Early morning or late day shoot should help with the contrast. All in all this is a job well done William!