PDA

View Full Version : Nesting Egret

Diane Miller
03-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Canon 5D Mk III, 300mm f/2.8 IS. Hand held. ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/2000 sec. Full frame with enough added canvas to allow some rotation, then cropped back -- it was almost straight overhead and I caught it at an odd angle. Basic LR adjustments to reduce contrast then to PS CS6 for slight NR and sharpening.

I don't know if they are nesting earlier this year or if I've just gotten out earlier to see the action -- the weather is normally rainy in March and we're often gone for a few weeks about now. So I'm enjoying some opportunities I haven't normally found, although this nest-building or repair behavior has a fairly long window. It's a local rookery that is visited by quite a few photographers, but they don't nest in the most photogenic trees -- redwood and eucalyptus. I think the flight shots are nicer.

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Very nicely lit, the branch adds to the image and the bird is really detailed. I think I like the square frame but I kept wondering about a 3:2 ratio, I think on reflection your idea is better.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Very nice one Diane!
Great -looking egret, nice light and the nesting material adds to the image. I also prefer the typical 3:2 ratio but I guess the square crop works for this one.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Great capture Diane, the nesting material enhances the image and tells a story.

keith mitchell
03-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Crop is fine by me,must have been difficult but the exposure looks great to me,icing on the cake with the stick.

gail bisson
03-12-2014, 05:56 PM
The techs look good Diane, but I find this an awkward looking image. The crop doesn't feel right.
I see some diagonal striations in the LUC. Are these clouds or artifacts from adding canvas?
Gail

Diane Miller
03-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone, and thanks for catching my sloppy cloning, Gail! I neglected to do the simple check I mentioned in my ETL Sticky on adding canvas, for seeing subtle glitches. It was the case I mentioned there where content-aware fill got too eager to find some features, and then I picked it up with cloning repeats. Maybe I need a better monitor... Now fixed in the master file.

I agree that a more traditional crop could be considered. I've added more canvas to a 5x7 ratio (using the other method I mentioned there for adding clear sky without using content-aware) and I'll see about adding a tree branch for it to be approaching (as it was). Will repost if I can make it look good.

Here's the original raw file just adjusted in Lightroom, full-frame, so you can see I had to add quite a bit of canvas. I was lucky to be able to follow it to this high angle and keep it in the frame.

Diane Miller
03-12-2014, 09:57 PM
OK -- how's this? Should it go in OOTB?

Karl Egressy
03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
The one including the tree is the best IMO.

Michael F Milligan
03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Like it with the tree too! Adds to the height of the whole spectacle I guess.

Randall Farhy
03-13-2014, 02:54 PM
I too prefer the version with the tree, but I'd play around with it as a vertical using the tree as an anchor. Might have to add canvass depending on rotation. Could make for an intereting OOTB subject as well.

Diane Miller
03-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks, everyone! Randall, I'd have to find another tree -- not enough of a vertical in this one. But a good idea -- I'll play with it!