PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Conferate Cemetary

Judy Howle
03-11-2014, 11:00 PM
I used Topaz Simplify, added the Confederate soldier ghost which was originally a photo of a statue at a cemetery, and added 3 textures.

Paul Lagasi
03-12-2014, 04:13 AM
Nice piece of work Judy, like the framing and soldiers position in frame. Good to see we're not the only ones getting snow.

Cheryl Slechta
03-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Nicely done, Judy. I like the touches of color in the flags contrasting with the starkness of the snow.:S3:

Judy Howle
03-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks Paul. That snow was in 2011. All we got this year was a 30 minute flurry. Lots of chances but fortunately the ice that was so problematic below and above us missed.

Nice piece of work Judy, like the framing and soldiers position in frame. Good to see we're not the only ones getting snow.

Dennis Bishop
03-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Very nicely done, Judy. I like the perspective, the composition, and -- as Cheryl mentioned -- the flags. The slight halo around the soldier really adds to his ghostly appearance. The whole image has a very fitting look, and I think the concept was a great idea.

Judy Howle
03-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks much Dennis!

Nancy Bell
03-12-2014, 05:54 PM
You created a very thoughtful image, one that makes you think. The lines of the gravestones and the old-type textures is interesting enough, but the addition of the ghost soldier with a bowed head makes a strong statement. Well done.

Judy Howle
03-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks Nancy, I'm glad you liked my ghost!

Anita Bower
03-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Very nice work. I liked it immediately upon seeing it. The symbolism is clear. I feel the sadness. Good job.

gary ellwein
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM
I agree with the others relative to the fine composition and perspective. The relative proportion of the soldier and grave markers is appropriate. I personally find this feature to be difficult when adding something from another image. My eye tends to drift to the bright white patch of white sky.

Judy Howle
03-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks Gary. I turned the soldier into a Smart Object just for that reason and played with it in different positions and sizes till I thought it was about right. Yes, the sky is white and I did paint over it lightly with blue already. I may not get around to working on it again, my schedule is busy through the weekend.

I agree with the others relative to the fine composition and perspective. The relative proportion of the soldier and grave markers is appropriate. I personally find this feature to be difficult when adding something from another image. My eye tends to drift to the bright white patch of white sky.

Kerry Perkins
03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi Judy, you did a really good job with this image - it works on many levels for me. I especially like how the ghost soldier appears to be made of the same stone of the grave markers. Very powerful image!

Hazel Grant
03-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Nothing more to add to the above.....nice message....the flags also caught my eye right away...good touch.