PDA

View Full Version : Theme Gray Whale

dankearl
03-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Posting via third party, not sure how this will look.
Underwater Gray Whale.
Hopefully my membership will get resolved or this may be my last post.
San Ignacio Lagoon.
Amazing….
55mm (really), D800, f6.3, HH from small boat.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/002_5684nx2_zps94dddfde.jpg (http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/dkearl/media/002_5684nx2_zps94dddfde.jpg.html)

Gabriela Plesea
03-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Hello Dan,

I am sure your membership will be sorted soon and this is certainly not your last post! Very interesting capture and you got pretty close to this whale, must have been quite an experience:S3:

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
03-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Hi Dan - I also am sure your membership will get sorted. Unfortunately, with James' illness, there have been problems with shifting the Paypal payments. There's a bright yellow announcement/sticky on the issue across the top of the forum. I'll send Artie and Peter an email flagging your issue.

Getting so close to these huge creatures is an awesome experience and, in my experience, it's very difficult to capture the essence and feel of that experience in images. You've got nice clarity in the water and the wave is nice too. I think I would go more pano and crop from the top to eliminate the kelp/seaweed as it competes with the whale. Any more room below?

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
03-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Hello again Dan,

Quite a revelation to see the magnificent eye of the whale, and now that I look at the image for the second time I realise Rachel is right, a bit too much space above, a pano would work very well.

Great work, Dan! Maybe the next time the whale sticks her nose out of the water:bg3: Looking forward to more...

Kind regards,

Don Railton
03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi Dan

I like that you can see the eye on the near whale and the wave its pushing along gives a sense of movement. I agree with the pano suggestion, but I am pretty sure the top of the picture is another whale and maybe the third party was wanting to show the existence of the pod??

DON

dankearl
03-13-2014, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the comments.
Don, you are correct, that is another whale. By third party, I meant a photo hosting site, not another person.
I took the photo.
Gabriela, I have many shots of them out of the water, I liked this one because it was under water…….