PDA

View Full Version : Evening Tern

Gary Esman
03-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Sometimes it is the simple shots that I enjoy the most. This was taken last Saturday evening at Fort Myers Beach shooting toward the hotels. It had rained a lot on Thursday and flooded the large sandy area just north of Little Estero. Living in Michigan I love to watch these guys. Self critique would not to include the bright strip along the top. But in a way I like it because it reminds me of a beautiful Spring evening in Florida where our yard at home has 2 feet of snow in it. Hope enjoyed viewing it.

7D, 1/2500, f/5.6, 400mm on a 100-400mm, iso:200 - yes Randy 200 again!

Gary Esman.

douglas hayes
03-11-2014, 07:29 PM
I think you nailed it. The light strip on top adds to the overall complexity of the portrait. A good bill position and white details. I am headed that way at the end of March. What was exposure comp?

Randall Farhy
03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Gary, This is a beautiful portrait. The line at the top doesn't bother me in the least-it's the bottom blur that I find distracting. I'd crop most of it off, even though it leaves less room for the "virtual" legs, I feel doing so is better than leaving it in. I really like the soft tones, colors and pose here. Must have been fairly bright light to allow for those settings?

Arthur Morris
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
SH, perfect EXP. The best thing about it? The head of the preening bird is perfectly parallel to the back of the camera as it should be. Were you on your knees or sitting for this one?

Gary Esman
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
SH, perfect EXP. The best thing about it? The head of the preening bird is perfectly parallel to the back of the camera as it should be. Were you on your knees or sitting for this one?

Thanks Artie. If I remember correctly knees and elbows on the ground. I took a lot of photos that evening so kind of hard to remember. I do remember having to clean my elbows before going into the CVS across the street. :bg3:

Gary Esman
03-11-2014, 07:48 PM
I think you nailed it. The light strip on top adds to the overall complexity of the portrait. A good bill position and white details. I am headed that way at the end of March. What was exposure comp?

Thanks Douglas, fun place to shoot. Say hi to the Reddish Egret for me...he just simply makes me laugh. I did some white neutralizing in color efex pro due to the reflection off the sand was overwhelming.

Karl Egressy
03-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Excellent preening pose, perfect exposure. I like the low angle shooting as well.

Arthur Morris
03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks Artie. If I remember correctly knees and elbows on the ground. I took a lot of photos that evening so kind of hard to remember. I do remember having to clean my elbows before going into the CVS across the street. :bg3:

Thanks Gary. Here's why I asked: if you could have gotten even an inch higher, maybe two at the most, the image would have been even stronger. You would have had a bit more room from the top of the crest to the grey strip....

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Beautiful shot I like the composition and all of the background. Excellent pose.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Superb image Gary!
Love the light in this one. Excellent exposure and a handsome specimen.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:50 AM
I echo the previous comments, great image.

Gary Esman
03-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate your time and comments.

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2014, 07:42 PM
A very successful preening image of this tern. Techs and processing look good. I could go for a bit more room top and right, but still good as is.

Randy Stout
04-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Gary:

Sorry so late to the party!

Beautiful bird, effective shooting angle, colors, exposure.

As I studied the comp, was really struck by the vertical of the bill bisecting the verticals of the legs, beautifully balanced.

ISO 200, well it worked pretty well in Florida, just don't try it back in dreary Michigan!

Cheers

Randy

Gary Esman
04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks Randy iso 200 rock on! :bg3:

Gary.