View Full Version : Theme: Dying eyes

BenBotha
03-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Canon 40D
Canon 100-400
F 6.3
ISO 400
1/320
This was a very disturbing experience. We found the male lion-literally only skin and bones under a tree next to the Kwai river in Moremi Botswana. He was to weak to move and clearly dying. The eyes just told me of a lifetime of experiences that are coming to an end. That night we heard the Hayenas and then a terrible "scream" and we never saw him again. Even now-3 years later when I look at the 3 photos I took, I feel like crying. I only took 3 photos because it was something our whole family could not bear to look at.
Ben

'

Sandy Witvoet
03-11-2014, 06:07 PM
So powerful, Ben. I would also cry.
I just had the awful experience of visiting one of the few open areas of water here in Northern MI..... there were dead and dying waterfowl (starvation) everywhere due to our extreme winter. I took one image, cried and deleted it.

dankearl
03-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Nice poignant image, Ben.
Life in the wild…….

Ian Cassell
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh, Ben, that is sad. The up-side (if there is one) is that your image captures that well, and you can feel the end coming.

Arthur Morris
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Life goes on. No tears from me. He lived a long life. It is gonna get us all in the end. The trick is to enjoy every breath while we are here :).

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Nice capture. Ironically the eyes are actually the only sign of 'life' in this image. But yea, these kings come and go...

Gabriela Plesea
03-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Hello Ben,

You have captured so well that last light in this old lion's eyes-this is a beautiful image.

Indeed a sad moment, but just imagine what a glorious life this male has had, how many battles he has won, and how many young he has fathered-the scars tell his story.

BenBotha
03-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the comments. I agree, the eyes are the most striking part of the photo.The interesting part of this experience was that the specific region had 2 prides of lions. The next day on the game drive we found a kill where lioness killed a buffalo. That afternoon we found her again with 4 cubs, about 5 Km from where this lion died. We assumed that it was his original pride and that the next generation was already born. Life goes on!
Ben

Morkel Erasmus
03-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Sad image indeed. The eyes and face tell a deep story. I do wish we could see more deeply into his eyes, a slight repositioning from your side may have enabled this... :e3