PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gallinule

Joseph Przybyla
03-10-2014, 03:01 PM
I got out to Circle B Bar Reserve this morning. I found this Purple Gallinule in the open, most times they are tucked in the vegetation.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm
1/640 F/8 ISO 400

John Rowell
03-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Wow, there are some terrific colors in this bird. I hope you are able to get more shots of him. An obviously busy background, but it stands out well against the green vegetation. There does seem to be a blue cast to the frame. I think there is a lot more detail in the shadows that you could bring out with S/H or Nik Detail Extractor and I'd also suggest taking another pass at sharpening the eye. Thanks for sharing, I've never seen this bird before and the colors are just great.

Karl Egressy
03-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Nice standing tall pose and nice head turn, Joseph.

gail bisson
03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
The "standing "pose of the gallinule is very appealing and I don't think I have ever seen it before.
I would decrease the exposure by 1/3 stop on the entire image ( except the shadowed belly). This looks like it was shot in quite bright light. What time was this taken?
Colors look good to me.
The upright pose looks great with the vertical grasses and I think it makes the busy BG work well with the bird.
Nice image,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I never saw this upstretched pose before, very nice.

Neil Burton
03-12-2014, 07:53 AM
A bit on the bright side but great pose. Something very difficult to get close to in Europe.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Hello John, thank you for viewing and commenting. I will look into the blue cast and your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks Karl, very much appreciated.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
The "standing "pose of the gallinule is very appealing and I don't think I have ever seen it before.
I would decrease the exposure by 1/3 stop on the entire image ( except the shadowed belly). This looks like it was shot in quite bright light. What time was this taken?
Colors look good to me.
The upright pose looks great with the vertical grasses and I think it makes the busy BG work well with the bird.
Nice image,
Gail

Hello Gail, thank you for viewing and commenting. I will look into decreasing the exposure a tad. The image was captured about 11 AM. The light is bright but that is typical of the lower latitudes except for a brief period just after sunrise or before sunset. Thanks again.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Hello Grace, thank you for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.

Joseph Przybyla
03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Hello Neil, thank you for taking the time to view, comment and offer a suggestion for improving the image. I will look into decreasing the exposure a little.

David Salem
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Looks like pretty harsh light but a cool and unique pose that makes up for it. Nice color and detail and I agree to decreasing exposure by a third. Well done.