PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret

Diane Miller
03-09-2014, 12:19 AM
The egrets and herons are returning to the local rookery. The herons (BCNH) already have juveniles, unless they keep the plumage into the second year. The only egrets so far are the Greats.

Canon 5D3, 300mm f/2.8 IS + 2X II, HH, 90% of FF (slight crop on left and bottom for comp). ISO 1600, f/6.7 at 1/6000 -- probably should have gone to a lower ISO less SS but handholding at 600 is risky for someone of my slight build. Need to spend some time at a gym... Basic adjustments in LR then to PS for NR and a touch of Detail Extractor.

C&C always appreciated.

Satish Ranadive
03-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Excellent flight shot. Superb exposure on whites, nice details,HA, beautiful colors on beak and face. Very nice composition too.

Regards,
Satish.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Very artistic image Diane. Nice exposure. Like the hint of clouds in the sky bg. Agree with your self assessment re. lower ISO although it didn't hurt the image here.

Ashleigh Scully
03-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Hi Diane this is really nice I like everything about it. Great detail too!

Karl Egressy
03-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Very pleasing pose, excellent exposure and composition, Diane.

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Nice breeding plumage on this individual, and I love the iridescence of the flight feathers. Good comp and a pleasing sky colour.

Rob Melone
03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Very, very nice and unique pose Diane and love the green lore and underwing. Nice eye too for a moving subject. I can see and appreciate the upper space you gave the bird to fly into, but I would try shaving about 10-15 % off the top and maybe bring the bird just a touch to the left. Very refreshing image here!

Diane Miller
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks, everyone! Rob, my first thought was to trim a little more off the top but I heard voices saying give it some space to fly into! Taking a little off the left would give the impression of a little more room on the right.

Hoping to catch these guys at first light tomorrow, and maybe get some decent ones carrying nesting material. This taxes the 5D3 AF and my strength to handhold the lens. As they get close, and at a higher angle, the vertical motion on the Wimberley is a little too limiting, due to the body being set back so far from the pivot point. If I can catch them farther away, coming in on a longer flight path, with a longer lens, it works fine. But right now they seem to be intent on gathering twigs from a very close by tree. It's the same kind of tree they're nesting in, but I guess the grass is greener in the other one.