PDA

View Full Version : Male Purple Finch.

Daniel Cadieux
03-08-2014, 06:29 PM
While photographing the Evening Grosbeaks a pair of Purple Finches also made an appearance. Here the male shows off its raspberry colouring while his brownish sparrow-like mate was busy feeding on seeds on the feeder just out of the frame. Normally I would not like the extra perch part but I like the various play on angles with it and it's small part along with the main perch and it's smaller part. Having said this, an alternate version without it there is certainly not out of question.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, cropped for comp (original vertical), usual eye work (darken pupil), three out of place and lonely snowflakes removed via spot removal tool.

Joseph Przybyla
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Beautiful little guy nicely shown. Great colors, background and detail. My first impression of the image before reading your comments was that I would remove the lower branch. I say this because it is not connected to the main branch.

Karl Egressy
03-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Color, IQ and pose are fantastic, Daniel. If it were mine, I would clone out the branch not attached to the perch at the bottom.

Geoffrey Montagu
03-08-2014, 08:31 PM
What a beautiful bird. Love how you captured his remarkable plumage and its detail in the soft light, Daniel. Perfect exposure and I can live with or without the lower perch. Like the BG too.

Geoffrey

Diane Miller
03-08-2014, 11:45 PM
The soft red on gray is just gorgeous! (And of course great pose and IQ goes without saying.) I don't mind the piece of the branch because it sort of anchors the bird and it's light color is so pretty!

keith mitchell
03-09-2014, 04:02 AM
Daniel it's a beautiful bird very well captured on a super BG ,bit of branch is not a problem for me.

Satish Ranadive
03-09-2014, 07:07 AM
What a lovely pose you have captured, Daniel Sir.
Wonderful colors with great details, beautiful BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-09-2014, 11:25 AM
What a pretty bird! Love the way it pops against that gray bg. Very nice look-back pose and comp. The extra perch doesn't bug me, but I wouldn't miss it either. Lovely image Dan.