PDA

View Full Version : Javan Pond Heron (Breeding Plumage)

Ron E Racine
03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
A Javan Pond Heron (Ardeola speciosa) in breeding plumage. The Pond Herons here in Thailand are starting to take on their fantastic breeding plumage.

Taken on March 7th, 2014 @ 5:00PM in Chachoengsao, Thailand

Canon 7D, Canon 600mm L F4 IS II, Canon 1.4x Teleconverter Series III
Shot from my car using an Apex Low-profile Bean Bag and Wimberly II Gimbal
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/1600
Manual Exposure mode

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Ron

Arthur Morris
03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Hey Ron, A stunningly gorgeous bird in stunning breeding plumage. Very sharp. Nice soft light an killer colors. Perfect head turn. For me, this one sorely needed to be a vertical as you have cut off the virtual lower part of the bird....

Ron E Racine
03-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the comments and feedback Arthur. At the time I thought his legs and feet were mostly obscured by the foliage but I now realize there was more visible that I did not manage to capture. I will definitely keep in mind the vertical treatment the next time I encounter one of these.

Frank Schauf
03-08-2014, 03:34 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.

Miguel Palaviccini
03-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Never seen one of these Ron, so I'm glad you shared this here. I like the detail in the back feathers, and like the lookback that you got. I could also see it as a vertical crop. I may consider reducing the contrast in the background - helping to create a smoother feel.

Arthur Morris
03-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the comments and feedback Arthur. At the time I thought his legs and feet were mostly obscured by the foliage but I now realize there was more visible that I did not manage to capture. I will definitely keep in mind the vertical treatment the next time I encounter one of these.

You are most welcome Ron. Even had the legs and feet been totally obscured by the vegetation I would still have recommended going vertical with this one so as to better frame the bird while including its virtual legs--he legs and feet that we know are there but cannot see. On rare occasion I might not follow this guideline but for this one I would have gone vertical in an instant. Thanks a stack for your membership support.

Daniel Cadieux
03-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Beautiful bird and setting, and I like the advice you got. One thing I've gotten better at with time is taking a variety of images (horizontal, vertical, small in the frame, closeups) when I encounter a cooperative subject. Not sure if that is the case you had here, but something to think about for future opportunities.

douglas hayes
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Fine exposure and wonderful detail of feathers and colours. I do miss his feet. Cheers