PDA

View Full Version : Theme - Imitating Gary and Kerry

Cheryl Slechta
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM
You guys inspired me! I knew I had an image from Socorro on the way to Bosque that I'd saved. It reminded me of Gary's image so I drug it out and converted it to B&W in CC using infrared, lowered the opacity just a touch and painted back in the view from the windows. Then I explored Nik Analog and actually had fun with it (my other attempts were dismal). I used Wet Plate, a Warm Film Type, messed around with the bokeh and added a Photo Plate for some streaks and smears.
Thanks for looking.

Nancy Bell
03-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Cheryl, the creativity muse is sitting on your shoulder! What a fabulous combination of effects. Love the washed out color through the openings with the gray/black foreground. You really captured the feel of desolation of these old ruined buildings and the harshness of the land. I can hear the wind howling, the tumbleweeds recklessly rolling and the dust getting into everything. Wonderful how inspiration flows through the OOTB community!

Dennis Bishop
03-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Definitely a creative approach and very effective. My eyes keep going back and forth to the two colored openings and stopping at the tree on the way. Neither the color nor the black & white takes over; they fit very nicely together.

Kerry Perkins
03-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Cheryl, I'm so glad you revisited the plugin! You have discovered the real mother lode of creativity in that software - the adjustment panel. You can virtually design your own plugin, then you hover your mouse over the image and see the amount of control you have over the size and placement, strength, and shape of the effect...

I really like the effects application - that wet plate collection has some great ones! Is this one of the old buildings around San Antonio, just north of the preserve? I've always wanted to stop there and spend some time getting some shots of them. I'm going to go play with my Analog Efex... :S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
03-08-2014, 09:33 AM
This looks like an optical illusion to me, sort of surreal. Because the lighter areas come forward they look like they are painted on. So my brain has difficulty between distinguishing FG and BG, and they keep switching back and forth. Nice tones and processing Cheryl.

Cheryl Slechta
03-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Kerry, it was San Antonio. The other building that I stopped to shoot two years ago that was falling down was just a heap of wood this year.:S3: And yeah, I'm going to like Analog - thanks for showing me its potential.

Cheryl, I'm so glad you revisited the plugin! You have discovered the real mother lode of creativity in that software - the adjustment panel. You can virtually design your own plugin, then you hover your mouse over the image and see the amount of control you have over the size and placement, strength, and shape of the effect...

I really like the effects application - that wet plate collection has some great ones! Is this one of the old buildings around San Antonio, just north of the preserve? I've always wanted to stop there and spend some time getting some shots of them. I'm going to go play with my Analog Efex... :S3:

gary ellwein
03-08-2014, 07:19 PM
This is most creative Cheryl. I keep bouncing between the two openings. The hint of green in the tree also catches my attention. I must experiment with Analog.

Anita Bower
03-09-2014, 06:12 PM
This is an interesting image. I'm not a fan of B&W with some parts in color, so I'm biased. I like the color areas and the B&W areas, I just wish there were not in the same image.