PDA

View Full Version : Pied Kingfisher

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Not quote up to Mr Stu's level, and the HA will get slammed, however... :w3

Taken on the drive out from Kwetsani on the very early morning game drive. The body posture I felt reflected more of a listening one, rather than using the very keen/sharp eyesight they have. The 'perch' is a natural one and not a set-up.

Again, posted remotely.

Thanks for the previous comments, very much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6sec ISO1000 -0.33 EV Comp

Randy Stout
03-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Steve:

The lighting is very effective, soft background, perch scaled OK for this little fellow.

I do get the concept of him listening, but still would prefer him to be listening in our direction :S3:

Might try a version with bird placed a bit more to the left in the frame with corresponding balancing crops.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
03-07-2014, 10:31 PM
I was up in the air about this one until I cleaned my glasses. Now I sorta like it. Listening? looking? Could be either. I would definitely take some off the bottom and some off the left.

A question about the perch--is the top sawed off?

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2014, 01:25 AM
Cheers Randy, will look at that when i get back at the end of next week.

Artie, all natural, only hand of God, just nature! :w3

keith mitchell
03-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Steve the bird is super sharp and beautifully exposed on a very nice clean Bg,can't make up my mind about the head angle, had it drummed into me from the start of my photography that the bird should be looking at me, but there again have been told other stuff that I'm not so sure about.

Cheers Keith.:wave:

douglas hayes
03-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Enjoy the perch and attitude. Definitively like the sense of hearing which is sound itself. I would also crop a tad off the left side. TFS

Rob Melone
03-10-2014, 12:25 PM
What a beautiful pose and background Steve!

Stu Bowie
03-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Steve, nothing wrong with this. Having seen plenty of these guys at close hand, this pose is typical of maybe another Pied in the near vicinity, and is an alert pose. Excellent exposure, and that smooth BG is sweet. Comp wise, I would move him down to the LLC. :w3