PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

Cheryl Slechta
03-07-2014, 03:53 PM
These mushrooms were growing out of a stump in my garden last year. I shot four images and focus stacked in PS CC, then converted to Sepia in either Topaz B&W or Nik Silver Efex (sorry, I lost my notes). I used to write down all steps that I'd done to process an image in notebooks which got to be so cumbersome that I would get busy and forget to write anything down thinking that I'd remember. But Anita Bower wrote an article for Denise Ippolito's eMiniMagazine and her tip (which I never knew) has now made my workflow so much easier. There is a section in File>File Information>Description for just that - file information (sounds too easy). I always looked at the camera data tab and had never explored the other tabs. Now I add information on workflow while I'm working - so much easier. Thank you Anita:S3:

Jackie Schuknecht
03-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Good job with the focus stacking Cheryl. I like the toning. I wonder about cloning out the light area in the URC as my eye keeps seeming to drift over there.

Cheryl Slechta
03-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks, Jackie, I can tone that down easily:S3:

Mitch Haimov
03-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Very interesting subject, Cheryl. Stacking worked well. Comp feels tight to me, especially on right. I suspect I would prefer the color version, but that's just my preference.

Jonathan Ashton
03-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Cheryl, I like the fungi but for me the monochrome does not enhance the visual experience. I can envisage shades of white, grey and pale yellow to almost gold. Also I would suggest it is perhaps a little too tight in the frame. Sorry about being so negative! On the plus side you have good detail and sharpness on the subject.

Jerry van Dijk
03-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Hi Cheryl, although I always like the subtle colors on mushrooms, I think the BW conversion worked well here. I think it adds to the ancient feel of these fungi. Like Mitch, I think the comp is a bit tight, but I know how cluttered the environment of these mushrooms can be. I might have chosen to go in even closer, so that the whole frame is filled with the shrooms. But I also like it as presented.

Diane Miller
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
The B/W has a classic beauty here, for me, befitting the subject. I'd also think about burning down the two lower corners. Well done!

Steve Maxson
03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Hi Cheryl. Interesting to see the variety of opinions on this one - just goes to show that we all see the world a little differently. :S3: I'm not usually a big fan of B&W (personal preference), but I think it works well in this case and the stacking also worked well to enhance the DOF. I would agree with Jackie about toning down the URC - a minor tweak, but overall, this is a fine image!

Ian Cassell
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Another vote for the monochrome! They feel ancient and mysterious - almost out of a child's fairy tale. I really like this.

John Robinson
03-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Agree with the above. Subject suits the mono and frame.. Maybe a cuople more layers would have got the far back one a tad sharper. No big deal'
Cheers
John

Cheryl Slechta
03-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I realize B&W isn't everyone's cup of tea but it seemed appropriate for the image. Here's a repost with some burning.:S3:

Jerry van Dijk
03-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Small change but great improvement Cheryl. Very well done! I forgot to mention this earlier, but I like how the BW treatment emphasizes the rough surface structure of these mushrooms.

Cheryl Slechta
03-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Jerry, I appreciate the suggestions - I like it better also.:S3: