PDA

View Full Version : Nuthatch

Diane Miller
03-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I presume this is a White-breasted Nuthatch -- shot in northern CA a few days ago.

Canon 5D Mk III, 600mm II with 25mm extension tube for slightly closer focus. Big Gitzo with Wimberley II. ISO 1600, f/13, 1/250 sec. That SS was thin ice for this twitchy subject, but I was after as much DOF as I could get due to the amount of magnification. Cropped to 50% of original frame. Basic LR adjustments only on this one. Exported from LR then a slight further sharpening with Smart Sharpen in PS.

keith mitchell
03-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Diane sharp from beak to tail and beautifully exposed, even the feet look excellent.

Keith.

Ron E Racine
03-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Diane, nice pose and framing. At f/13 the details and DOF are great for a close-range shot like this. The one large bright lichen in the back does seem to drawing my eye to it, maybe darkening it a little might help.

Ron

Diane Miller
03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
I agree, Ron. I should have done my usual with Nik Viveza on this one. It's great for darkening OOF areas.

Arthur Morris
03-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Quite beautiful and sharp. A crop from the bottom to 3X2 would work for me. And maybe pull the curve down a bit on the whole thing.... Love the angled down pose and the BKGR.

Frank Schauf
03-08-2014, 03:35 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details and sharpness.

Randall Farhy
03-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Nice capture-details here are well seen. This is can be an issue with these guys, as they often present a pose that makes getting both the bill and neck feathers acceptably sharp when locking on the eye.

Karl Egressy
03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Nice pose, background and details. Maybe more room around.

Bryan Munn
03-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Great shot Diane! I don't have any real suggestions that I think would make it better. I like seeing it on a perch like that...the typical nuthatch shot has them pointing either up or down on the side of a tree. Nice to see something different.

I have a pair of these birds apparently staking out one of the nest boxes behind my house. I have them coming to a suet feeder, but have not yet tried to photograph them. They sure are twitchy little things....even when eating they never really stop moving.

Diane Miller
03-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks, everyone! I think a little off the bottom is a good idea for this crop. And I do have a little more room all around -- will look at a looser crop, too.

Seeing it here, it does look a little overexposed -- easy to fix in the Raw converter. It came out with a cool cast in the somewhat cloudy light -- also easy to fix.

Randall Farhy
03-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Bryan-try hanging a perch at a level above and leading to the suet feeder or a small pile of sunflower seeds-these guys will often scamper along the branch and then go inverted as they approach the food. Pre-focus and anticipate their arrival because as you noted-they hardly ever sit still. I'll have to dig out an example.