PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Annas

Steve Large
03-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Hi Folks,
Here is our friendly male annas humming bird out at the ocean at Piper's Lagoon in his favorite singing spot. These guys stay all year round up here in Nanaimo B.C. When I was a kid they used to migrate and we didn't see them until the weather started warming up around April or so. Now that people's humming bird feeders ar so plentiful, they don't bother to leave and you can often see them huddled up in a blinding snow storm in the middle of January. The males are one of the first birds to establish a territory and begin singing in the early spring.

Stats: Canon EOS-1D Mark4, 800ISO, F/8, 1/320sec, 840mm equivalent focal length - 600mm IS2 + 1.4X

Thanks for looking,

Steve

gail bisson
03-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi Steve,
This is a nice image. I really like the excellent detail in the feathers and the raised crest.
I wish you could have moved to your left to get the OOF portion of the branch more parallel to the sensor.
My eye gets pulled away by the branch.
Gail

Steve Large
03-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Hi Gail,
Thanks for your comment on the perch. I kind of had the feeling that someone would pick that up. Unfortunate that it is a bit ugly. Most of the time he is up higher but that does not afford one a good background and you get a lot of white sky. I will attempt to get him down lower at some point and hopefully on a more pleasing perch such as a rose hip etc.

Take care and thanks for commenting,

Steve

Miguel Palaviccini
03-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Steve, the perch isn't ideal but the rest of the image is very eye-catching. The colors and details are outstanding.

Randall Farhy
03-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Hi Steve, agree with above- I must say the choice of bg really makes the colors on this stand out, as it resonates the warmer tones found on the body.