PDA

View Full Version : Old Warrior

Loi Nguyen
03-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Image taken at Katmai Brooks Lodge in "many moons ago" as Anette would say - September 2012 to be exact.

5D3
300f2.8 IS I + 1.4X II = 420mm
1/800
f5.6
ISO-2000
AV Mode
+2EV
Handheld (I think) from a high shooting platform

Brought in LR5, reduced exposure by -1EV
In CS6, adjusted middle levels to 1.08
NR on BG
UMS 80/0.3/0

I found shooting from a high platform is not the best way to go, but it was pretty much it at this location. The rangers were fairy strict about it.

Would like to get your feedback so that when I go back to Katmai, I will have a more productive time.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Andreas Liedmann
03-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi Loi, shooting from a platform downwards , not ideal you know yourself.I personally do not like this crop, a bear with cut off legs , not ideal for me.
Like the basic colors in the image, but i would invest more in PP , than what you described . The bear needs more pop, is quite flat and needs more tonal contrast.Just my feelings .

TFS Andreas

Loi Nguyen
03-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi Andreas, I played with this image for a few times, but nothing came out, so decided to post to get some guidance. It eill never be a good image, but I just want to practice. I find shooting Grizzly bears quite difficult. with the learning the past 12 months from BPN folks, I hope I will do better next time. Thank you. Loi

Rachel Hollander
03-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Hi Loi - Brooks is tough especially when the platforms are crowded. I found that it was good to have 2 bodies and the versatility of a zoom lens such as the 100-400 or 70-200 on one and then have the 300 or longer lens and tcs on the other body. That way when the bears are close or there are multiple bears that you want in the frame you have the flexibility to do so. Unfortunately, the comp doesn't work for me either. Andreas has made good suggestions. I would start by either further reducing the exp or doing a lumo mask at about 60%. I know the bears vary a lot in color but I wnould consider reducing the reds in the bear. I would also back off on the sharpening on the top of the head and neck. If you are staying over at Brooks, the best time on the falls platform is when the day trippers are gone and most people are at dinner.

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
03-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Thank you Rachel, reducing the red does look a little better, but overall I can't get image to work. So, will just have to wait until next time I make it to Katmai again and try out my new skills. Not worth re-posting. Thanks a lot. Loi

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi Loi, bears are great IMHO, full of character, but also demand respect too.

Taking off the 1.4 would have been better and allowing more options for cropping as this isn't working. Just took the image back into LR, dropping the overall exp works and brings back more depth to the image, it looks thin as presented. Then using the filters you can target the water and or the surrounding area. Subject looks sharp with good detail. Rachel has given some good advice about Brooks, I have shot bears in Katmai, but all in the open at various points along the coast and so you have the freedom & movement, so shooting high up will be very demanding and you may have to think OOTB and be more creative in your approach.

See if Artie is running a trip?

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
03-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Hello Loi,

This is one fearsome character and I was not surprised when you said " …I find shooting Grizzly bears quite difficult..." :bg3::t3 Just kidding, but here's a thought, I wonder if you considered a vertical crop to include just the bear's face and a tad of the legs, if IQ permits? Have you got more images of these impressive bears?

Kind regards,

Loi Nguyen
03-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Hi Steve, thank you for your pointer. I reduced the exposure and red cast as Rachel suggested and it is certainly better, but the crop is what it is. I didn't know what I was doing then, too much kens, not enough skills, light and shooting position difficult = no good pictures. This is one of the few sharp images that was exposed OK, so I just wanted to use it for practice. Tried to get on a July trip to Lake Clark, but it was full. So will need to wait and plan for next year.

Gabriella,I did think about vertical crop, but the high position shooting down isn't working for a closer crop. It's OK, I fell confident that next time it will be a more productive trip.

thank you again.

Loi

Steve Kaluski
03-09-2014, 11:10 AM
I didn't know what I was doing then, too much kens,

Nothing worse Loi, than too much kens :bg3:

I fell confident that next time it will be a more productive trip.

It's the way to go Loi!

Gabriela Plesea
03-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Loi, I have no doubt that the next trip will be even more rewarding, in fact things get better with each and every trip! Although I must admit that my kens was too short, too often, during the last trip:bg3:...

Have a great week, Loi!

Warmest regards,