PDA

View Full Version : Wild Geranium

jimknoy
01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I would appreciate your comments on color and composition.

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Jim

If yo wish you can go to 800 and will be easier to see

I love the feel the soft bg tones are pleasing The flower shows very well and light excellent

The one green leaf on the bg left of the flower seems to catch my eye I like it a lot !!!! Hoping to see lots more !!!!

jimknoy
01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Al, thanks for the critique. I am not clear what you mean by going to 800. 800 what? Thanks again. Jim

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Sorry Jim 800 pixels on the image size !!!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Jim,

I like the angle of the flower and the leaves. I liek the bright BG and subdue light on the flower. I would have moved a bit to get the large OOF diagonal stem out of the BG and disecting the flower.

Chris Starbuck
01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi, Jim.
I also like the rich colors, soft background, and the way you've placed the geranium.

From the tonal relationships I'm guessing that you shaded or used a diffuser on the flower, while leaving the background more brightly lit. I like that approach, particularly with darker flowers, and have used it myself, but it does make bright spots in the BG stand out more, like the leaf that Al pointed out. Here the leaf (or stem or whatever) stands out more because it's angled in the opposite direction from most of the BG texture, and because it runs right into the edge of the subject. The only good solution I know of is to use the DOF preview to check the BG carefully for distractions (something I need to do more myself), and either move them or move the camera to get them out of the frame.

That said, the BG leaf is a nit, and I like the image. Keep 'em coming!

Chris

jimknoy
01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I have learned a lot.