Canon F/2.8 300mm
F10
1/400
ISO 800

Another Eider captured at my local harbour, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Jonathan Ashton
03-06-2014, 05:48 PM
William I like the pose and the exposure and colours, you have detail in al but the darkest black plumage. I look at the wing and it looks sharp, the bill and the eye doesn't seem quite sharp to me. I am not too sure if it is subject movement or if you focused on the wing?
I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs William (goodness knows I am a big culprit myself) but it is always a good idea to check out the critical sharpness when viewing the original image at 100%.

Raymond Lee
03-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Lovely pose! I agree with Jonathan's comment. There seems to be some movement blur. The whites on the cheek is hot, I could see some highlight recovery when processing the RAW file.

William Dickson
03-06-2014, 06:22 PM
I should have opened the aperture up a wee bit and got a faster shutter speed, as I was on AV mode :e3

William Dickson
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
William I like the pose and the exposure and colours, you have detail in al but the darkest black plumage. I look at the wing and it looks sharp, the bill and the eye doesn't seem quite sharp to me. I am not too sure if it is subject movement or if you focused on the wing?
I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs William (goodness knows I am a big culprit myself) but it is always a good idea to check out the critical sharpness when viewing the original image at 100%.
I agree with you Jonathan, I noticed the back of the head was in focus but not the front, especially the bill

Karl Egressy
03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
The pose is nice but as mentioned the head is not sharp. Maybe next time.

Daniel Cadieux
03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Nice pre-flap pose and light. Even if you opened up more for more SS the subject's head would still have been soft (perhaps even softer) because critical focus is near the tail. Which focus point were you using, and was it on the face of the subject, with auto-focus (using AI Servo) active?

William Dickson
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Hi Daniel

I was on one shot not Al servo, I only use Al Servo when taking BIF

hope this helps