PDA

View Full Version : Short eared Owl'

keith mitchell
03-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Nikon D7000
Nikon 300ml 2.8
1/640@f8
iso 500

Afraid Short Eared Owls have not come to my part of Lincolnshire this year so this is one from the past. Don't know if I have succeeded but I have tried to keep this as near as possible to the conditions that the image was taken, with the Owl catching what was left of the light coming from the right of the bird and darker to the left, messy Bg which I have left as it was .

Thanks for looking .

C&C most welcome.

Rob Melone
03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Some really beautiful golden light Keith and I love the eye sharpness. Well done!

Jim Crosswell
03-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I like the light, details, sharpness and composition. Pupil size difference is interesting. Nice image Keith.

Iain Barker
03-06-2014, 05:30 PM
This is nice Keith. Nice pose and I think the square crop works. I don't mind the background and if anything would just tone down the OOF branches slightly.
This bird is the one I most want to find but doesn't look like it will happen this winter.

TFS
Iain

Jonathan Ashton
03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Love it Keith - so natural looking well done. I really like the light and background and for me the perch is just fine - that is where they perch! I still haven't seen one this winter/spring, they have been reported but very few.
I suspect one pupil is smaller than the other because the smaller one is in the light.

Karl Egressy
03-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Nice side light with good details. Very nice image, Keith.
This bird is one of our favorites.
Saw three of them on Monday but they were too far.

keith mitchell
03-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Thanks a lot guys,{ Pupil size difference is interesting} think this is just down to the angle of the birds head, I did toy with the idea of brightening the eye in the shadow but decided to leave it alone.
Thanks Keith.

Jim Crosswell
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks a lot guys,{ Pupil size difference is interesting} think this is just down to the angle of the birds head, I did toy with the idea of brightening the eye in the shadow but decided to leave it alone.
Thanks Keith.

I wouldn't lighten the dark eye either because it would look unnatural. The pupil is much bigger due to less light hitting it. I always find it interesting when there is a big difference between the two.

Marina Scarr
03-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Lovely owl and image. I like the theatrical lighting provided by the side lighting.

Holger Leyrer
03-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Great owl shot. The golden light is stunning. Love the pose, details and eye contact.

Steve Kaluski
03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Keith, I do envy you with these birds!

I like the light but wonder if it's a little too saturated, but then I am 6000 miles away. :w3 No issue with the wire and this is a typical post, WD.

TFS
Steve

Satish Ranadive
03-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Excellent image. I like the light and shadows in the owl, his eyes,BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

keith mitchell
03-08-2014, 03:19 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

Keith.:S3: