PDA

View Full Version : Yet, another booted rackettail (Ecuador)

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Hello guys and gals! :)
I have been very busy with birding tours here in CR and have not had too much time to participate or to process some of my images.

This one is a booted rackettail from Ecuador. The image is recent and I wanted to create an image that not just depicts the bird but also part of its habitat. Hence, that's why the bird is small in the frame and looks a tad dark, so that's how its habitat looks in the dark rainforest.
I also used a native flower, one that is visited daily by this and many other hummer species. I hope I succed in my intentions of creating a ''natural'' looking image.

For this one I used
1D4+300f/4@f/13+ISO800+four speedlites+radio transmiter and receivers+tripod+artificial BG+LR+Full Frame+minor tweaks in post.

Don and myself are working behind the scenes to put up a photo tour to Ecuador soon so stay tuned for more info! :)

Many thanks for looking and for your comments.

JuanK

Raymond Lee
03-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Beautiful capture! I think the bottom can be cropped out a bit, may be just past your watermark.

Ron E Racine
03-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Juan, a truly beautiful bird and shot. I like that you included the surroundings. I do feel if you made it a touch lighter it could still reveal the dark surroundings but let us see the detail on the bird a little better.

Either way is a real stunning image.

Ron

Mervyn Marsh
03-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Hey Juan great shot! I would prob do a bit more of a smaller crop but thats just me. overall it's awsome!!
Cheers,
Merv

Karl Egressy
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Beautiful delicate bird, great composition Juan Carlos.

Jim Crosswell
03-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Another beauty Juan! I like the flower, BG, setting and composition. I like the room you have here. I am a fan of the direction you are going in, conveying that deep forest feel. This hummingbird reminds me of the Green Thorntail body wise, is it around the same size? Keep them coming.

Jonathan Ashton
03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
A lovely image I think you could retain the natural environment look even if you took a little off the base. I think there is enough detail in the bird to stand a slight crop.

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Many thanks guys for your kind comments, I will repost this one later with the suggested tweeks. :)

Holger Leyrer
03-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Very nice image. The vegetables in the background shows how small these birds are.
And now, i waiting for the repost :S3:

Michael F Milligan
03-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Like the diagonal line in the composition, great image.