PDA

View Full Version : Mallard up close

Steve Maxson
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
This image of a mallard was taken from a blind on a woodland pond last weekend. I was intrigued by the color and patterns in the water here. These mallards are quite wild and are wary even around blinds. After some rotation and squaring off the sides, this is full frame. 40D, 500 f/4 + 1.4X,1/640, f/7.1, ISO 400. I deleted some spectral highlights. Comments are welcome.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I also like the colors, patterns and details. I would remove the remaining spectral highlights on the chest and reflection.

Dan Walker
05-14-2008, 05:13 PM
It is hard to get me excited about a mallard, but this does it, looks really great. sweet irredescence on the head and the water "swirls" are awsome.

Dan

Doug Brown
05-14-2008, 06:23 PM
The water definitely makes this image for me. Very nice.

Daniel Cadieux
05-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Only thing I have to mention is that in the reflection the top of the back is clipped...you could crop a bit more (to about in the middle of the two white collar reflections). If before rotating you had the complete back you could also work that back in instead. The water looks superb.

Steve Canuel
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Beautiful shot. Great sheen and colors in the bird and the patterns, texture and color of the water are excellent. I'd personally crop a bit more off the bottom to the point of eliminating the white tail feather. Although a "common" bird, these guys are beautiful.
Steve