PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Angles II

Wendy Kates
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Here I created a mirror image of the original photo: I think it looks more abstract but let me know what you think. (I also created a black and white version, which I will post tomorrow!)

Randall Farhy
03-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Love it! I know it's a real PITA, but if the staining around the edges of the balconies were cloned out, it would be even more abstract. (not necessary, just something to consider)

Edit- I'm not on my workstation so I can't post a pic, have you tried taking this version and mirror imaging it from the bottom?

Dennis Bishop
03-04-2014, 08:34 AM
I think the mirror image was a great idea. It certainly adds to the abstract feel of the image. I like the idea of flipping the image vertically to make it look less like a building and to have that whitish part rising up instead of pointing downward. I'd also suggest cropping some from the side to reduce the symmetry.

Hazel Grant
03-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Interesting flip, Dennis, but I think I like the second posting of Wendy's better. I think the white area at the top of the flip makes it heavy. Wendy, I liked the original version but actually like this one, too. this new one looks less like a building and more llike a modern art piece.

Wendy Kates
03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I'll keep working on the image to perfect it!

Nancy Bell
03-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Well done, Wendy! In my mind, images can have several different end points, all of them interesting and good in their individual way. And each viewer will most likely have a different interpretation than the artist. So play more with this, but I like this one plenty!

Cheryl Slechta
03-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Wendy, I like this one better than your first post and I believe I like Dennis' version the best. More abstract and it feels more like you've got a bird's eye view of the image looking down from the top. I think it would look nice if you took yours and cropped the sky out also to remove that context.

Dennis Bishop
03-04-2014, 08:09 PM
. . . I think it would look nice if you took yours and cropped the sky out also to remove that context.

I didn't crop out the sky in my version. Those two big triangles on the bottom used to be the sky, but I used the Polygonal Lasso tool to select and fill them with one of the darker colors from the building.

Kerry Perkins
03-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I like this version Wendy, and I also like Dennis's repost as it shows a different perspective. Many ways to look at this image, and I would also be interested to see a mirror image flip from the bottom - it would make a nice kaleidoscope image.

Anita Bower
03-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm behind in my viewing and commenting, hence, I haven't seen your prior post, Wendy.
I like your version a lot. It speaks to me. I like the clean lines, the contrast between white, brown and blue. The angles lines. For me, it is a study of triangles, right-side-up and up-side-down. I prefer your version to the one Dennis did (no offense, Dennis). I suspect it is a building, and I like the semi-abstract quality. The only thing I'd change, is cloning out the bit of debris in the upper part of the brown triangle, to give a cleaner look. Perfect image for this theme.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I like what Dennis has done to make it visually more interesting. I think if that had been the OP I would have not been able to tell what it is. Many ways to go on this one.

Diane Miller
03-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Absolutely fascinating geometric forms! A computer artist friend of mine always says, if you do a symmetry, change some detail so it isn't perfect. Dennis took the bulls by the horn on that -- I love them all, including the previous post. The sharp IQ works very well with the geometric subject.

Anita Bower
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Congratulations, Wendy. I think this is an outstanding example of the theme.