PDA

View Full Version : American Wigeons

Geoffrey Montagu
03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Went to a favorite local river Saturday that had partially frozen the night before and I was lucky to have American Wigeons arrive. C&C welcome.

D3s, 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/640, f7.1, Gitzo series 5 tripod, Wimberley Gimbal Head.

Geoffrey

keith mitchell
03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
I like the male bird with it's nice walking pose ,think if it was mine I would try cropping the female out and just keep the male, just my take and of course I could be very wrong.

Keith.

Arthur Morris
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I like the inclusion of the hen and I like the image design for the pair. I wish that the male were not angled slightly away from us. Is the water shallow or were they on ice?

I like the shaking after bath. The big problem here is the YELLOW color cast. Go to Hue/Saturation, select the YELLOW channel, and start decreasing the Saturation until the cast is gone. That is just one of the many ways to eliminate a color cast. I cover many of them in Digital Basics. Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) is an instructional PDF that is sent via e-mail. It includes my complete digital workflow, dozens of great Photoshop tips, the use of Contrast Masks, several different ways of expanding canvas, color balancing tips, all of my time-saving Keyboard Shortcuts, Quick Masking, Layer Masking, and NIK Color Efex Pro basics, my killer image clean-up techniques, Digital Eye Doctor, and lots more.

Geoffrey Montagu
03-03-2014, 06:13 PM
It was quite an overcast day. I might have been a bit heavy giving it some warmth. I do see the yellow cast and removed it. Thank you Arthur and thanks for the links.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Montagu
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
They were on ice Arthur. Edge of ice is just to the right of the hen.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Montagu
03-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your comments Keith.

Geoffrey

Arthur Morris
03-04-2014, 07:31 PM
It was quite an overcast day. I might have been a bit heavy giving it some warmth. I do see the yellow cast and removed it. Thank you Arthur and thanks for the links.

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,

You are welcome times 2. Better, but the flanks of the hen are still to YELLOW. For the repost I reduced the YELLOW SAT 15 points for the whole image on a Layer and then painted the reduced SAT back in on the hen's flanks with a Hide All Mask. l

Geoffrey Montagu
03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Simple adjustments go a long way. Thanks again Arthur for seeing this and showing the results. Always appreciated.

Geoffrey