PDA

View Full Version : Long-Tailed Shrike

Ron E Racine
03-03-2014, 01:56 AM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/12810394045_dd7e7b7628_b_d.jpg

A long-Tailed Shrike (Lanius schach) perched with an OOF rice paddy in the background.

Taken along a rice paddy in Plaeng Yao, Chachoengsao, Thailand

Two photos were taken and merged in Photoshop as a panorama. Minimal processing done in Lightroom 4.4

Canon 7D
Canon 600mm L F4 IS II
Canon 1.4 Teleconverter Series III
Shot from my car using an Apex Low-profile Bean Bag and Wimberly II Gimbal
Shot in the late afternoon
ISO 800, f5.6, 1/1250
Manual Exposure mode

Satish Ranadive
03-03-2014, 02:54 AM
Ron, Heartiest Welcome to BPN.
This is wonderful image to start it. Very nice pose, great details. However colors looks too saturated .I have taken the privilege to modify it.
I have desaturated the colors and recomposed it. I hope you won't mind. Sorry for cropping your signature.

Regards,
Satish.

Ron E Racine
03-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Hi Satish,

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. It is possible since my laptop screen is not properly calibrated that the colors appear overly saturated to others. Processing in LR was minimal with some black level adjustment and minor increase in saturation.

Your crop is also a lot cleaner than my original.

Ron

Arthur Morris
03-03-2014, 06:04 AM
I saved the JPEG to create a less saturated version as the original post is off the charts over-saturated. I am glad that I scrolled down and saw the excellent repost by Satish. The toned down
image is quite stunning and you did a great job with the stitch. Beautiful bird, perfect BKGR, pose, and head angle. In an ideal world the perch would have been a bit thinner....

Iain Barker
03-03-2014, 08:41 AM
I think that monitor calibration makes a big different to this image. I was about to say that the report looks a bit lacking in contrast then checked on my phones screen before posting and it looks perfect. Very nice image with the adjustments by satish.

TFS
Iain

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Welcome to BPN Ron!! I love the subject with its' perfect head angle. Neat long tail that goes well with the vertical composition. I can't tell where you stictched the two images so great job on that part of the processing. The main issue has been addressed well...it is well worth calibrating your monitor if photography-related activities rule your laptop :c3:.

Jim Crosswell
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I like the pose, HA, sharpness and repost is an improvement in both saturation and composition. Well done Ron.

Ron E Racine
03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I saved the JPEG to create a less saturated version as the original post is off the charts over-saturated. I am glad that I scrolled down and saw the excellent repost by Satish. The toned down
image is quite stunning and you did a great job with the stitch. Beautiful bird, perfect BKGR, pose, and head angle. In an ideal world the perch would have been a bit thinner....

Thanks for the great feedback Artie. Clearly my laptop needs to be calibrated so I will working on that.

Ron E Racine
03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Thank you very much for your feedback Iain.

Ron E Racine
03-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the comments and feedback Daniel. Since my current laptop is at end of life I will be sure to have my new laptop screen calibrated to ensure that what I see is what everyone else sees.

Marina Scarr
03-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Killer bird, pose, colors and details. I think somewhere between the 2 would work. Just reviewed a bunch of google images of this bird.