PDA

View Full Version : Canon Equipment stolen in Homestead/Florida City

PeterGruener
03-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Dear all,

Please pay attention if someone is offering the following equipment as it just got stolen out of the rear of our car in Homestead/Florida City in the parking lot of the Cracker Barrel. It was an expensive dinner for us and with just the 2nd day of our vacation anything related to photography is currently ruined. Here's a list of bodies and lenses that disappeared in two backpacks from GuraGear:

Canon 1D Mark III SN 572639
Canon 1Ds Mark III SN 649066
Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8L SN 295191
Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L IS SN 321265
Canon 300mm 2.8 SN 31297
Canon 500mm 4.0 SN 26867
Zeiss 35mm 1.4 SN 15788634
Zeiss 25mm 2.0 SN 15919756

To the moderators: If this is not the right place to post or if you want to keep it stuck on top please feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Peter

William Dickson
03-03-2014, 03:17 AM
Sorry to hear about this Peter, you must be devastated. Lets pray the equipment gets returned to you

Grady Weed
03-03-2014, 11:11 AM
I hope you get it back. The folks that stole it should have to reimburse you for your whole vacation!

Dan Brown
03-03-2014, 11:52 AM
So sorry to hear this! My worse fear when out shooting! Maybe some of the Florida photographers here could help out with some loaner equipment so your trip isn't a total photographic loss?

Diane Miller
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, and especially for a tourist who came all this way from Germany. I hope the local police can be of some help -- sometimes camera equipment is taken to a pawn shop, but probably one very far away. And I often wonder how hard the police work to try to recover things like this.

There is so much crime in this country it's horrible -- everything from small-time, local thieves to organized crime. It says a lot about the failings of our society.

Gavin Spooner
03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
i'll keep an eye on craigslist.

cheers
Gavin

Nancy Bell
03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
This is truly terrible! For your immediate needs what about renting?

PeterGruener
03-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Dear all,

Thanks for all the kind words. The police has all serial numbers and equipment description and at the moment we deal with a little paperwork even from my insurance in Germany and we enjoy Florida right now through our eyes and not through the lens - pretty hard though. We'll consider to rent just some small equipment for landscape photography. Today was one of the most beautiful sunsets that we have seen from the distance. We are safe and sound and that counts more than gear.

Thanks,

Peter

andresleon
03-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Peter,
I am truly sorry to hear about your equipment loss. I've dined at that restaurant many times with my equipment stored in the trunk of my car so I am surprised that this happened. Though i live a couple of hours north of this location, I will keep an eye out for any offers of similar equipment. Hope you're still able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

PeterGruener
03-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi,

We are still enjoying our vacation but slightly different. We have driven to locations and areas that we have never been before and I do hope that my insurance will cover my loss. We have been to the US and especially in Florida many times with no problems at all. It may have been just bad luck or more likely someone might have watched us. Just keep your eyes open.

Peter

Marina Scarr
04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I am very sorry to hear about this incident, Peter. This has happened to my friends in the past. If I were you, I would check Craig's List for your own equipment b/c it is unlikely the police will check. My friend found one of her lenses this way which was stolen out of her car and sent the police to the man's house after finding the add. You may also want to check pawn stores in the area.

PeterGruener
04-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Hi Marina,

I am very sorry to hear about this incident, Peter. This has happened to my friends in the past. If I were you, I would check Craig's List for your own equipment b/c it is unlikely the police will check. My friend found one of her lenses this way which was stolen out of her car and sent the police to the man's house after finding the add. You may also want to check pawn stores in the area.

I will check Craig's list out of curiosity. As we are already back in Germany it will be impossible to check pawn stores. As sad as part of our vacation was the good news are that I am covered through my photo insurance. I already got part of my new Nikon equipment and learn a new brand.
However, if someone here got camera gear offered she or he may check with my serial numbers.

Thanks,
Peter

Mike Tracy
04-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Even if you find your stolen goods in a pawn shop they will not release them to you without payment.

Randall Farhy
04-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Even if you find your stolen goods in a pawn shop they will not release them to you without payment.

True, but the Police would be very interested and will confiscate them from the broker if they are listed on a police report as having been reported stolen. Legit pawn brokers are licensed by the State in which they operate and tend to be wary of goods brought through the door without some sort of proof of ownership. Occasionally something will get by a purchasing agent, so it is good to follow up on leads.