PDA

View Full Version : A cubs affection

Steve Kaluski
03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Same female Leopard as previous, this is one of the new cubs 'bonding' with Mum, perhaps not the best POV.

It can often be difficult to get good shots as they can be secretive and prefer to be more in the dense bush than out in the open, but you have to make the most of things. Initially I thought the slight curvature of the RH branch may add to the idea of peering through the foliage, but now with hindsight I'm not sure? Couldn't change position due to the location and really did not want to stress either Mom or the cubs in trying too.

I'm posting this remotely as I'm currently away.

Thanks for the previous comments.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Female leopard with cub (Panthera pardus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/160s at f/5.6sec ISO800 +0.33 EV Comp

Loi Nguyen
03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Steve, love the golden light on Mom. The low POV and the cub's tail on Mom's face makes this an intimate image. Too bad about the OOF branch on the right though. Any reason you chose such a low SS? Loi

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Awesome interaction Steve, lovely light and comp.

Rachel Hollander
03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi Steve - sweet moment, well captured. Oof branches are a pain but don't block any of the subject so not a deal breaker. Dappled light really adds to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
03-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks folks, Loi the light kept changing and in all honesty I never felt that comfortable taking the MKIV over 1000, although both Andreas & Jamie have shown, going to 3200 isn't an issue however with the 1DX I have no hesitation!

Will see what happens later in the year. :S3:

Nancy Bell
03-02-2014, 04:42 PM
The thoughtless tail across the face makes this image! Important that you did get one eye of mom showing. In a perfect world would prefer not to have that diagonal branch. But it is on the side and blends somewhat. I totally agree with not taking the MKIV ISO over 1000. Technology has moved forward here and of course, that keeps Canon making $$!

Morkel Erasmus
03-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Steve, light on them is cracking and the fur detail immaculate.
I don't personally like the branches (somehow they are just more "eye-catching" than other wayward pieces of foliage we've seen before on the forum). I appreciate your field ethics here, perhaps a crop from the RHS would suffice?

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-02-2014, 11:34 PM
I love it! Nice (cute!) pose, sharp where needed.

Andreas Liedmann
03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi Steve,
mummy got smacked with the tail …..
Looks very funny to me , almost like a female pirate.
Like the overall image in all tonal and color terms , as usual . The OOF branches are not really bothering me that much, even if they are kind of distracting :eek3:.
But here just asking, curious as i am , sharpening ? It is not looking as your "normal" sharpening , looking a bit gritty to me in parts .

Think you enjoyed this scene very much , i guess, they look very relaxed , which the most important part.

TFS Andreas

Anette Mossbacher
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Hi Steve,

as dual great image, I as well love the light on mum and the tad on little arc. Very nice indeed. The BG is for a bit to sharp, but that is just me :w3

Have much fun

Caio
Anette

Martin Dunn
03-04-2014, 03:13 AM
I can see why you've cropped it as you have Steve. If you tried to crop out the branch it would be much too tight on the cub.
Exposure and sharpness are terrific ( we'd expect nothing less from you :S3:)
I think too often we pick on the negative points of a photos and fail to appreciate their plus points. This is awonderfully intimate image that conveys a real sense of being there.

hirandesilva
03-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Hi Steve, The Sunlight around and on the Leopard is making it visible and the whiskers are sharp at that SS. We do have to understand that the OOF branch is not okay but is a part of the environment.

Hiran

Gabriela Plesea
03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Dear Steve,
I really appreciate the fact that the branches are going in the same direction as the cub's tail:w3 A little symmetry is important to me, and I am so glad you did not crop those branches out because I really like the way they create this "hidden" look, this feeling of shelter and privacy to the whole scene. I also like the way the cub is carressing Mom with his tail, typical feline behaviour and that makes this a very special image. Your processing is outstanding, only you can get away with 160/s:w3!!!

Warmest regards,