PDA

View Full Version : Gyrfalcon Hunting

Raymond Lee
03-01-2014, 06:43 PM

Alberta Terminals Ltd., Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS + Kenko 1.4x Teleplus PRO 300 DGX + Canon Extender EF 1.4x II.
Manual mode, 1/3200 sec., f/7.1, ISO 800, handheld.

The grain terminal where the Pigeons feed and stay has always been the attraction to birders and photographers. I posted a closeup hit two years ago here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/95346-Prairie-Falcon-with-its-Prey?p=773003&viewfull=1#post773003). This year, we have the Gyrfalcon appearing most of the time, and the Prairie Falcon will sneak in once in awhile if the Gyrfalcon is not around. When the Gyrfalcon is serious about hunting, a pigeon is caught in the matter of seconds after taking off from the building and diving into the flock of pigeons.

All C&Cs are welcome!

Thanks,
Raymond

Sidharth Kodikal
03-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Superb stuff, Raymond. Leaves me wondering what happened next, if the targeted dove lived to see another day or if the falcon had a good dinner.

Raymond Lee
03-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Superb stuff, Raymond. Leaves me wondering what happened next, if the targeted dove lived to see another day or if the falcon had a good dinner.

I like to build suspense! Mind you BPN is the first to see this image. :w3

Sidharth Kodikal
03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I like to build suspense! Mind you BPN is the first to see this image. :w3

I like images (and books and movies ...) that leave you wondering. Suspense works for me and I was trying to point it out as a positive in your image; wasn't necessarily asking you to divulge what happened next :-)

Raymond Lee
03-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I like images (and books and movies ...) that leave you wondering. Suspense works for me and I was trying to point it out as a positive in your image; wasn't necessarily asking you to divulge what happened next :-)

No worries! Thanks for your comments! :S3:

William Dickson
03-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Wow, fantastic shot Raymond :cheers:

Robert Kimbrell
03-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Really nice exciting shot. That falcon is just beautiful. I love the markings and pose.

arash_hazeghi
03-01-2014, 11:02 PM
what a crazy action! looks like the pigeons were attacking the falcon!

Marina Scarr
03-02-2014, 08:39 AM
This is pretty interesting, and I can't wait for the next clip!!! It almost appears as though he is "lying in wait" in the sky for a pigeon to fly right into those deadly talons.

vishaljadhav
03-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Hey wonderful capture Raymond, looks superb
Action work great, waiting for the next frame

Bill Dix
03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Great capture, Raymond. Love the gyrfalcon's position. Hope to see more.

Arthur Morris
03-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Hi Raymond, I gotta say that that is one cool assortment of birds and poses in one frame. The position of the gyr is amazing (though I wish that we had as good a look at the near underwing as we do of the far underwing.... That would have been a win/win as it would have eliminated the shadow of the falcon's foot on the far wing.... All in all, spectacular.

Iain Barker
03-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Terrific image Raymond.
IQ is excellent and it's not very often we see hunting shots like this. If I had to critique I wish the bottom pigeon wasn't behind the Gry's wing. Not that I have had anything near this quality.

TFS
Iain

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2014, 12:20 PM
What a fantastic bird chase scene you got here!! I love that critical focus is on the falcon. Thanks for sharing man, way cool!!

Raymond Lee
03-03-2014, 07:17 PM
A follow-up to some of the suggestions here. While it would be fairly easy to remove the pigeon behind the underwing, I think I'm going to leave it there. I also agree that a good view of the underwing would be nice. Looking at the image again, I remove all the shadows on the Gyr completely via a combination of Curves and Colour Balance. Here's the re-edit:

Thanks,
Raymond

kevin Hice
03-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Just if anyone is interested this is a passage gyr or first year bird more than likely a female cant say for sure its hard to tell the size for sure .For what ever reason never seem to see gyrkins that far south.What perplexes me is gyrs never do well on pigeons in captivity .It is a pure death sentence you have to wonder if the wild birds meet the same fate? Also a dark phase bird.

Arthur Morris
03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Nice job on the shadow removal! An amazing capture.

Iain Barker
03-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Terrific image Raymond.
IQ is excellent and it's not very often we see hunting shots like this. If I had to critique I wish the bottom pigeon wasn't behind the Gry's wing. Not that I have had anything near this quality.

TFS
Iain

I wouldn't remove the pigeon either. I was just meaning in a ideal world it would've been good if it was just clear of the pigeon.
Your repost makes a fantastic image even better.

Iain

keith mitchell
03-04-2014, 01:52 PM
It would be impossible for me to find any fault with this incredible image.

Keith.