PDA

View Full Version : In-the Field Nature Photography Ethics as I See Them

Arthur Morris
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
I have never written on ton on the way folks should behave in the field other than with regards to other photographers. (See here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/09/11/if-you-photograph-nature-you-gotta-read-this/) for an example of the latter.) Why have I not written on the subject? Because ethics are simply a matter of common sense.... In addition, ethics are personal.

Here is my take:

1-Treat the birds, other photographers, birders, and the habitat with respect.
2-If you approach a bird two or three times, and it continues to flush, leave it alone. As bird and wildlife photographers, we continually approach a variety of subjects and impact their behavior. They often fly or run away. Some disturbance is unavoidable. The trick is to minimize it.
3-Never enter legally closed areas.
4-Do not trespass on private property.
5-Learn, be aware of, and do not break any local, state, or federal laws, regulations, or ordinances.

All in all, it seems pretty simple to me.

Clyde Hopper
03-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Mr. Morris , It IS just that simple . Respect is a two way street . I seem to have more problems with biologist flaunting their BAs in this or MAs in that and really they are just "Highly Educated Dumb A&&es .
Respect the land , Respect the inhabitants ,And treat fellow enthusiast in the same manner you wish to be treated . You know ,all the stuff good parents instill in their children !
Sorry for the rant ,It just hits close to home at this instant ,Real close to home !

John Haig
03-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Agree completely on all points, Arthur. They seem self-evident to me, but common sense is in short supply these days.

Arthur Morris
03-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks Clyde and John. My take on avian research biologists: they cause more disturbance in a single day than all of the nature photographers in the world do in a year. Sometimes for valid reasons, but often as I see it the sole purpose is to get their name on a research paper....

John Haig
03-01-2014, 07:02 PM
. Sometimes for valid reasons, but often as I see it the sole purpose is to get their name on a research paper.... Nail on the head, Arthur...I've worked with groups of researchers as a guide/bander/photographer. Mostly there are a lot of good, dedicated people working for not great money because they believe they can do some good. But a significant proportion of them are driven by trying to maintain funding/budgets, or are students with very little interest in birds...they're working their way through a degree and need field experience or decided ornithology was a "bird" course. They don't deserve an automatic pass on the ethical front just because they've got more letters after their name than a guy with a camera who isn't bothering the birds as much as the kid on the jetski or the lady walking her dog off the leash.

Sandy Witvoet
03-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Perfectly stated, Artie. Simple. Good idea to keep it that way.

And, it may be a good idea to refrain from dishing biologists (unless you are one...well, maybe not even then!) or stereotyping them or others too ..... no matter how smart we are, or think we are, nor how experienced, we just don't know it all. Do what ya do... do it well... and be proud of it.

Arthur Morris
03-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Perfectly stated, Artie. Simple. Good idea to keep it that way.

And, it may be a good idea to refrain from dishing biologists (unless you are one...well, maybe not even then!) or stereotyping them or others too ..... no matter how smart we are, or think we are, nor how experienced, we just don't know it all. Do what ya do... do it well... and be proud of it.

Thanks Sandy. As far as the research biologists, I am simply speaking from stuff I have experienced. In no way do I wish to demean all biologists nor do I believe that I indicated that I do in my comments above. I had a great friend for more than a decade who is a research biologist. When I voiced opinions similar to those above to him about 15 years ago he got really pissed. Not sure that we have spoken since and that is a shame. But I have always been free to state my case as I see it and will continue to do so :). Respectfully.

ericbowles
03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Artie - good post. The one thing I might add is to consider the impact of multiple photographers. If one photographer leaves after flushing a bird by mistake - only to be replaced by 10 more photographers that do the same thing, the cumulative impact is a problem.

While we all know this stuff, it's great to be reminded.

Sandy Witvoet
03-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks Sandy. As far as the research biologists, I am simply speaking from stuff I have experienced. In no way do I wish to demean all biologists nor do I believe that I indicated that I do in my comments above. I had a great friend for more than a decade who is a research biologist. When I voiced opinions similar to those above to him about 15 years ago he got really pissed. Not sure that we have spoken since and that is a shame. But I have always been free to state my case as I see it and will continue to do so :). Respectfully.
Thanks Artie,
Me too....as in "stating my case" (hope you don't mind too much!). My sister is an advanced degree biologist/microbiologist in MN ... I appreciate and admire her work... but, CRIPEY, she does get pretty "touchy" .... I also have a couple of FWS biologists as friends.... but I keep our conversations to birds and photography! Contact your friend... he may have mellowed a bit!
San

David Stephens
03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Also remember, you can be perfectly ethical and still violate state and Federal laws regarding Endangered and Of Special Concern species. Logic does not always apply when it comes to the law of the land.

Arthur Morris
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Also remember, you can be perfectly ethical and still violate state and Federal laws regarding Endangered and Of Special Concern species. Logic does not always apply when it comes to the law of the land.

Thanks David. That was of course a major oversight. I thought that I had mentioned that but had not. I added this:

"5-Learn, be aware of, and do not break any local, state, or federal laws, regulations, or ordinances. "

So thanks again.

Arthur Morris
03-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Actually, after re-reading what you wrote more carefully I realized that I went with a much broader view in what I added but it still covers what you mentioned.

Joseph Przybyla
03-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Regarding the ethics of nature photographers I have a question... how should they act when an other photographer is working a bird or birds? I ask this because yesterday my wife and I were at Ft. Desoto. We arrived just as it was getting light to coordinate with low tide. At the north lagoon as the sun was rising we were working a group of birds. The birds had moved close in range for the equipment we use. Then a group of six come walking up and begin to set up their tripods which causes the birds to flush to the other side of the lagoon. Then it was two more, then three more till maybe twenty photographers grouped in one small spot. Should nature photographers respect others space? Allow them to work and capture images before approaching? Ask before approaching?

Doug West
03-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Artie wrote this two years ago. Me, I think its still great advice...

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/content.php/160-Field-Etiquette-for-Nature-Photographers

Doug

ericbowles
03-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Joe

It's clear that proper etiquette for photographers requires everyone to give preference to the photographer that is there first and working a subject. Flushing a subject or causing a subject to move away from a photographer is not acceptable.

Many times experienced wildlife photographers will see a photographer working a subject and think "that's not a great shot", "I've got a better image similar to that", "the light's not really very good", etc. and believe the image is no longer important - and its okay to flush the subject. That's still thoughtless and rude behavior.

But there is a caveat. In a popular place like Fort DeSoto, there are always going to be lots of photographers. You can't expect to "own" an area that would normally be used by a much larger group. And if you are photographing in a place that others need to pass to get to normal locations, you need to expect disruption.

It sounds like with twenty photographers in the area, you are probably in a place that needs to be shared. I'd probably consider it part of the experience. But I agree - it sounds like the newcomers should have given you more room and made more of an effort to avoid disrupting your efforts.

Arthur Morris
03-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Regarding the ethics of nature photographers I have a question... how should they act when an other photographer is working a bird or birds? I ask this because yesterday my wife and I were at Ft. Desoto. We arrived just as it was getting light to coordinate with low tide. At the north lagoon as the sun was rising we were working a group of birds. The birds had moved close in range for the equipment we use. Then a group of six come walking up and begin to set up their tripods which causes the birds to flush to the other side of the lagoon. Then it was two more, then three more till maybe twenty photographers grouped in one small spot. Should nature photographers respect others space? Allow them to work and capture images before approaching? Ask before approaching?

Joe. In my opinion, they were dead wrong. So I respectfully disagree with my friend Eric Bowles' comments. The popularity of a location does not and should not matter. Respect for others is simply respect for others. With my 30+ years of doing this I can often sense when others are approaching without using caution. I have no qualms about educating them as to the proper etiquette. That education usually starts with a raised palm and the words "Please stop." That followed an explanation and the appropriate suggestion.

If I dot not hear folks coming and they flush the birds that I approached so carefully I will always approach them politely and attempt to educate them. Trust me, over the decades I have seen situations, often involving birders rather than photographers, that would leave you flabbergasted.

Thanks to Doug West for finding and posting the BPN link. Here is a link to the same article that originally was posted to my blog (with images) a while back: Field Etiquette for Nature Photographers (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/09/11/if-you-photograph-nature-you-gotta-read-this/).

And here is a relevant excerpt:

I was walking along a narrow path next to Little Estero Lagoon while scouting for a Southwest Florida IPT. About 50 yards ahead of me there were two American Oystercatchers foraging. The only problem was that 35 yards ahead of me a photographer was lying on his belly photographing the pair of attractive birds. They were catching big worms and the light was lovely… What to do? The guy was on the wet sand was facing away and was not at all aware that I was there. If I called to him (to ask if I could join him) I risked scaring the birds away. So I stood there for 30 minutes and watched with a bit of envy. Finally I decided that I would join him by starting my crawl from way back so as not to flush the birds.

I advanced slowly a few yards, remaining well outside of this species usual circle of fear. I slowly and carefully got down on one knee and the birds did not notice me, but as I lowered myself to the prone position, one of the birds (to my dismay) screamed its strident alarm call. Both birds leaned forward and took flight. I felt absolutely terrible and was about to explain that I had waited for half an hour when the photographer turned towards me and exclaimed, “Artie, it’s great to see you!” Then Tim Fitzharris—a friend, a well-known professional nature photographer and author, and one of the folks who inspired me early on, reached into an upper pocket, grabbed his walkie-talkie, raised his wife (who was in their small motor home nearby with their son Jesse), and said, “Joy, you would not believe whom I just ran into while crawling in the mud!”

Folks are usually not so glad to see you when you scare their subjects away….

You are walking down a desolate beach when you see a photographer working a beautiful Reddish Egret, a species you have dreamed of photographing. What to do? First off, as we saw in the example above, you need to stay well back. If you opt to leave the photographer and his subject, be sure to give both a wide berth while passing them. Many photographers think, “I will be polite and walk around this situation,” and then they choose a route that flushes the bird (or especially, a flock of birds; it is usually easier to approach a single bird than it is to approach a flock: scare one, scare all…) As a general rule, plan your route by doubling the distance that you think necessary to avoid flushing the subject(s).

If the photographer is aware of your presence, you have another option: you can ask as quietly as possible or gesture by pointing appropriately to indicate “Can I join you?” If they nod or assent, you need to be especially careful as to how you make your approach. First, you must consider your route. Approaching from directly behind the photographer is almost always best. You can actually hide behind the person who was there first as you make your approach. If the photographer is standing and you are going to approach while standing, you need to keep the front leg of your tripod low. It is often best to carry your tripod in front of you rather than on your shoulder. And you will need to move slowly, very slowly. I am often amazed at folks who think that “slowly” means to walk as if you were in a supermarket and were late for dinner… If you are walking through shallow water or muck or algae, listen to your footsteps. By doing so and placing each foot down carefully you can make your approach much less obtrusive.

If the photographer is kneeling you need to get down on your knees while you are well back and then again, make your approach slowly. If the photographer is down on his belly, you need to get down on your belly, again, while you are well back, and crawl your way in. Walking right up to a photographer who is either kneeling or crawling is unconscionable. In all cases your number one concern must be to avoid flushing the subject or the flock.

If there is only one flock of birds in sight and there are several photographers already in position then you have a bit more freedom; you can approach carefully without asking, make sure to go in low and slow. As always, you need to take great care to avoid flushing the flock. There are of course many grey areas here… In some situations, as with an obviously tame bird, you can simply approach without much concern. An example might be a fisherman-friendly Great Blue Heron that is used to being in close proximity to humans. As with all aspects of photography, knowing your subject is of paramount importance. If I came across someone photographing a Horned Lark while lying flat on the grass I would never even consider approaching as this species is notoriously flighty.

If you encounter a tour group that is photographing the only birds on the beach, then joining them would—in my opinion—be appropriate. If, however, they are tossing fish to attract the birds, then it might be inappropriate to join them unless you ask or are invited to do so. An option would be to take a position well behind the group while using a longer lens. And, by the way, if you are a member of a tour group, the restrictions on approaching birds or animals being photographed by other members of the group are greatly relaxed. That said, be sure to move slowly and to get low if need be. And if you are a member of a tour group, it is doubly imperative that you be doubly considerate of other photographers who are not part of your group.

There is one exception to the above. If one of the group has split well off from the group and gotten close to a nice bird (or a nice flock of birds), I would suggest that you treat them as if they were a stranger, that is, with great respect.

ericbowles
03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
I certainly agree with Artie. My perspective is simply that in a highly visited area, the number of people can make a difference in behavior and your expectations. You're more likely to get someone who either lacks etiquette or thinks they know better. While expectations of proper etiquette don't change - your level of frustration should account for the area. That does not make it right - just easier to understand that you'll run into someone less considerate of others. Rather than getting frustrated - you know that's simply a characteristic of the location.

This doesn't just happen with birds. I was working a nice buck in Cades Cove a couple of years ago and some know-it-all climbed over the fence between me and the subject and proceeded to spook the buck.

Don Thompson
03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
I can accept when the person(s) doing the disruption is say a beach comber, or a jogger, even a birder, but it infuriates me when it is another photographer.

Arthur Morris
03-20-2014, 11:56 AM
I can accept when the person(s) doing the disruption is say a beach comber, or a jogger, even a birder, but it infuriates me when it is another photographer.

Agree, but if you are aware of your surrounding they can often be warned off. Most beach-goers are just oblivious. Only once did I have beach-walkers continue straight ahead after I got their attention and begged them; that at Blind Pass on Captiva with bathing skimmers in early morning light with my whole IPT group sitting around me positioned perfectly.... They walked right through the birds that all few off as expected....

That's when I say, "You gotta love it."

Joseph Przybyla
03-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Thank you all for responding and commenting. Maybe I am more sensitive to it because the lens I use and can afford being retired I need birds to feel at ease and with patience work their way close. The initial group that flushed the birds Dottie and I were photographing set up with their long lenses and tele-converters to shoot the other side of the lagoon. Dottie and I seeing another photographer will hang back, waiting till noticed and than ask to approach or be waved ahead. Not sure if it matters but this group appeared to be from Germany as they were speaking German between the group.

Arthur Morris
03-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Been there, done that too....

Joe Galkowski
06-01-2014, 01:18 AM
I am new here, just signed up yesterday, but I can add a good story. I hope I am remembering it correctly. In the late 1980's, I could be off a little with the year, I was working a shore bird (willet?) in Pacific Grove, CA (near Monterey). I was down on one knee and shooting near full frame with my 500mm. I hear a quiet sound behind me and see a guy with a tripod and long lens being careful not to interfere. My recollection was he had an 800 mm so he could stay back and still get the same framing I had. Eventually, the bird moved on. The gentleman and I said a quick hi with a few sentences of introduction before we moved on to other subjects.

I learned this was a former teacher and he, with his wife, were traveling around shooting birds. He pointed to a van were I saw a woman reading a book in the passenger's seat. He talked to me about getting a longer lens to get tighter or more relaxed frames.

I was pleased that he showed me and his subjects respect and tried hard to let me get the shots I wanted and also cared not to stress the birds. I confess that I forgot his name until a few months later when that same shot showed up in Birder's World. I looked at the name and immediately remembered the guy I met. Arthur Morris does practice what he preaches. He helped set my ethics a long time ago. I hope you don't mind the flashback.

Arthur Morris
06-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Thanks a stack Joe. I don't mind at all :). That was quite some time ago. Why do I remember your name? You can bet that the book in Elaine's hands was a Steven King paperback. I lost her and her wonderful smile in NOV 1994.

Joe Galkowski
06-01-2014, 07:49 AM
We met once more maybe a year or two later but it could have been many years. It was also along the CA coast but I do not remember the details.

I used to get articles and pictures in Birder's World quite frequently, perhaps that is how you remember the name. It was a while ago: Velvia and K64, 1/60th shutter speeds, manual focus, no stabilization. I stopped shooting seriously when my kids were born about 14 years ago. I am just getting back into it.

I remember hearing about Elaine, it really saddened me, as I very much envied your life at the time.

Thanks a stack Joe. I don't mind at all :). That was quite some time ago. Why do I remember your name? You can bet that the book in Elaine's hands was a Steven King paperback. I lost her and her wonderful smile in NOV 1994.

Arthur Morris
06-01-2014, 09:04 AM
High again Joe. Though I miss Elaine I still have a most wonderful life. Again, your name is very familiar.... It's a whole new world with digital, and a wonderful world at that.