PDA

View Full Version : St. Thomas - circling the cruise ships

Terry Johnson
03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Hello, this image was taken a few years ago while on a Princess cruise. The island is St Thomas. The image was taken from Paradise Point.

D7000
18-200mm at 18mm
ISO-100
1/250
F-8
HH

Comments welcome...Terry Johnson:S3:

gail bisson
03-02-2014, 07:49 PM
This brings back happy memories of past travels as a family with the children.
Beautiful colors. I like the placement of the cable cars. Really like the clouds and the way the land tapers diagonally into the sea.
For some reason my ye keeps being pulled to the wire on RHS intersecting with the front cable car.I would lighten it although would love to see it gone but then an eagle eye viewer would wonder where the second cable was.
Very nice. especially nice to view from Nova Scotia where the temp is going to dip to -20C!!:Whoa!:
Gail

Don Railton
03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Hi Terry

This is very postcard picturesque... Nice bright colours and a view to die for... There is a halo over the highest part of the distant hills that I would work on removing, and I wonder if you have used a lot NR on the image because it doesnt look as crisp (in places) as I might hope, especially on those hills.

DON

Terry Johnson
03-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Don and Gail, when I have a moment tomorrow I will try and make the changes to the image per your suggestions. Thanks for your input...Terry Johnson

PS: The large megayacht between the left two cruise ships is 'Rising Sun. It is a 470 feet long and is owned by Larry Allison of Oracle Corp.

Terry Johnson
03-03-2014, 05:20 PM

Hello Don and Gail. I made the changes you requested with the exception of darkening the hotspot on the hill top. It is actually a cloud...Terry

gail bisson
03-03-2014, 05:26 PM
I like the repost!!

Andrew McLachlan
03-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi Terry, repost works much better for me. With the brutal cold we are having this winter this image makes me wish I was back on Cayman Brac. Temps are dipping to -20 over this way too without the windchill...yikes!

Morkel Erasmus
03-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Lovely scene, and I like the repost as it fixes my big bugbear with the original - the halo on the hills and the look of the sky/clouds as if you overdid a shadow/highlights adjustment.
Harsh light nicely handled, and an interesting composition which was hard to achieve due to the elements in the scene and the overall potential to look "cluttered". :5

Cheryl Slechta
03-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Terry, the repost looks great! I bet there are a lot of cold people up north who enjoy looking at it:S3:

Jay Gould
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Ditto Morkel! The RP removed my complaints!!