PDA

View Full Version : Headed Home Soon

Arthur Morris
03-01-2014, 08:14 AM
The Japan in Winter IPT was a huge success. We are currently hanging out in Kyoto and fly home on Tuesday. This resting Whooper Swan image was created at Lake Kussharo with the Gitzo 3532 LS carbon fiber tripod (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=20), the Mongoose M3.6 head (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=274), the Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon 2x EF Extender III (Teleconverter), and the Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 stops in soft light: 1/320 sec. at f/13 in Manual mode. Color Temperature: 6,000K. Central sensor (by necessity) Expand/AI Servo/Rear Focus on the base of the orange feathers and re-compose. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/09/13/rear-focus-tutorial/) if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

To see a similar version and perhaps learn a bit more about bird and wildlife photography, see "The Eyes Have It" here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2014/03/01/do-the-eyes-have-it/).

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

Marina Scarr
03-01-2014, 09:56 AM
This is one heck of an image, Artie. I'm already envisioning this in NB! Love the white on white and your choice of composition. Seeing just a small piece of the bill helps to anchor the image and to help viewers visualize. I like the textures and curves.

Alan Murphy
03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
An example of great exposure choice. Love the subtle whites.

dankearl
03-01-2014, 12:04 PM
You squeezed as much detail out of white feathers as is possible!
Textbook processing and in camera exposure.
The image is really cool with all the bumps and curves.
It sort of needs a border though, in this viewing format.

vishaljadhav
03-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Bhai the exposure is so lovely, that makes it a very nice image for the eyes
i just enjoyed seeing all those textures

Daniel Cadieux
03-01-2014, 02:57 PM
What a smooth, soft (in a good way), peaceful picture! The comp flows very nicely from top right to lower left with gentle curves along the way.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Very artie-istic and beautiful. Masterfully composed. TFS

Raymond Lee
03-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Beautiful closeup and nice details and composition!

BobbyPerkins
03-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Pure Elegance. The soft whites, curves & textures make such a lovely abstract.

Gary Esman
03-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Artie, I like the image in your blog far better. Without the eyes it just does not work for me. Gary.

Bill Jobes
03-02-2014, 10:46 AM
This is a perfect example of a muted, understated image screaming volumes of creative beauty !

It is a stunning natural moment, captured in the finest Artie style !

I can't help but wonder how many of us, seeing the buried head, would look right past the possibilities.

Thanks, Artie, for making us think !

Arthur Morris
03-02-2014, 03:21 PM
You squeezed as much detail out of white feathers as is possible!
Textbook processing and in camera exposure.
The image is really cool with all the bumps and curves.
It sort of needs a border though, in this viewing format.

Thanks Dan. I have chosen a theme with a black BKGR here: Captain James Mark II Side whatever that means....

Arthur Morris
03-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks all for your kind words, especially Bill Jobes:).

Arthur Morris
03-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Artie, I like the image in your blog far better. Without the eyes it just does not work for me. Gary.

Thanks Gry for commenting and for visiting the blog. I am going with the majority here. I feel sttrongly that #1 with its simplicity is the far stronger image. In addition, the lines and flow are much stronger in #1 than in #2. I am planning on entering #2 in several major contests.

Iain Barker
03-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Fantastic Artie. It is always great to see your different approach to image. I do wonder if people who are not familiar with the subject would now what it is? Although it would make them stop and think. For this reason I prefer #2 from your blog.

TFS
Iain

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Very unique , interesting and abstract image. Love the dune like curves, humps and bumps. Keeps the viewer's attention trying to figure it all out

Arthur Morris
03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Fantastic Artie. It is always great to see your different approach to image. I do wonder if people who are not familiar with the subject would now what it is? Although it would make them stop and think. For this reason I prefer #2 from your blog.

TFS
Iain

YAW. For me, itis #1 by miles.... I will be entering it in a few major contests. #2 is run of the mill--I have lots better that show the eye but touch more on the lines and flow in image #1.