PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with catch

Glenn Conlan
02-28-2014, 05:37 PM
Our local pond has a trout plant from Fish and Game every couple weeks which attracks Commorants, Ospreys and Photographers. I think the Ospreys key on the line up of photographers and figure it is the day for feeding. I cant hand hold my 600 so I use my tripod and Jobu head which is not easy tracking these guys from their stoop into the water. In this shot I focus on the impact zone and got her coming out with a successful catch.

D4 600mm w 1.4tc
1/2500sec
F5.6
ISO 800
Manuel exp.

Thanks for your input

Loi Nguyen
02-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Glen, very nice shot. Well exposed. Not sure if you have more room at the bottom, but a little more room would do it for me. The head angle is not ideal, but not a deal breaker. The twisted fish and the water spray add more interest. I'd love to spend soem time with you and David on this pond some time soon. TFS. Loi

Glenn Conlan
02-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks Loi, after posting I notice the bottom a little too tight. They plant the fish about every two weeks give us a ring.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Lovely, peak action captured here, Glenn. The struggling fish and the flying droplets make this one so dynamic.
Agree that adding to the bottom will enhance this one. Excellent bg to go along an excellent capture

David Salem
03-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Good job focusing on the impact zone and getting her coming out of the water with her catch. I like the open beak, the water flying and the curved trout. The techs and detail look great.
Yes to a bit more on the bottom. Look forward to our next time out!

Frank Schauf
03-01-2014, 02:47 AM
Great timing, great action.

keith mitchell
03-01-2014, 03:35 AM
As already mentioned a tad more on the bottom would take this cracking shot up another level.

Arthur Morris
03-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Yes to sharp and yes to great timing and catching the peak of action. I like the position of the bird in the frame and the wing position as well. All in all a great action capture.

The head angle is not the problem--one of the problems here is that the bird is angling away from you. The main problem is that the light is from high right and slightly behind the bird.... Thus the back of the near leg and part of the tail is sunlit.

There look to be some repeats in the lower left; did you do some cloning there or extend the canvas? Lastly, the unfortunate blue streak of water merging with the bird's head is distracting. And yes to a bit more room below.

Glenn Conlan
03-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your input Arthur. No cloning or extension of the canvas, I did lighten up the trout because of the light angle you mentioned, which was shading part of the fish. Unfortunately the fish drop is around 11am to noon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vishaljadhav
03-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice capture in terms of the sharpness and great pose
i like the catch being in focus too along with the water drops
with the drop at 11 you just can't control light , is then the fill in flash a option that may be considered, however i think then the frame rate may get to be a issue
over all i like the image

Arthur Morris
03-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks for your input Arthur. No cloning or extension of the canvas, I did lighten up the trout because of the light angle you mentioned, which was shading part of the fish. Unfortunately the fish drop is around 11am to noon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YAW Glenn. Photography at this location would be better at this time of day if the wind were from your right, if you can arrange that :). artie

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Very nice one. Like the splash and clarity. I do wish to see more room on bottom.