View Full Version : Peek -A-Boo

gail bisson
02-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Common merganser drake
Canon 1DX
F 600mm and 2X converter
ISO 400
F 10 @ 1/2500
This image posed a lot of cropping choices and I have 4 different versions in my files. I will post the original and would love to hear your suggestions. I decided on this final comp after discussion with the "Queen Of Comp" Grace Scalzo!!
PP: Crop, NR to BG, levels, DE at 10% to the shadowed area of tail and 3% on the rest of drake and tonal contrast to the BG ( moved all the sliders to negative numbers), USM to JPEG
Comments and ideas for your favorite comp eagerly awaited,
Gail

gail bisson
02-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Here is the original uncropped and no PP work done to it at all.

Randy Stout
02-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Gail:

Nice choice on the crop. I could see an even tighter version to help play up the peek a boo pose.

Where are the reflected reds coming from? Obviously not just from his bill. The colors play well with the bill, just curious.

Cheers'

Randy

Stu Bowie
02-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi Gail, I do like the pose, especially with the near wing over his head. Comp wise, I could see half off the bottom, and more on top of the 'smoother' golden/blue BG.

David Salem
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Nice looking peek a boo pose Gail and a good looking drake too. I think a little tighter comp as Randy suggested would concentrate us to the head more, as that's the main focus of this cool shot. I dont think it needs as much below as you have in your comp.
Nice exposure control and details in this also. A neat and unique capture.

Jonathan Ashton
02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Lovely pose,I would most definitely take some off the base, I don't think it adds whereas the smooth upper area does. I may just consider trying to lighten up the head around the eye just a little bit.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I too would prefer a tighter crop. I also would like to know about the reds. I think a little brightening of the face area and the blacks would improve as well

Daniel Cadieux
02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I too would go for a bit less below and a bit more above. Amazing pose, quite unique. Whatever those reds came from they do add positively to the image.

gail bisson
02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
The reds come from a building that sits by the waterway.
Thanks for the advice and I will rework this image.

Karl Egressy
02-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Great and very interesting pose captured nicely, Gail. I like the original crop.

gail bisson
02-26-2014, 01:06 PM
This is my new improved version!

Grace Scalzo
02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Late to the party here, busy day at work. My comment on Pane #11 is that if you split the screen in 1/2 from top to bottom, and for that matter from side to side, the eye is nearly centered in this presentation. I don't know the theory behind this, but compositions are almost always more compelling when centers are avoided. I hate to see you loose that painterly red color in the water, so my comment to you to move him up a bit more in the frame (in our emails) was so you could keep the red. (This is clearly a personal choice). If you were to do that, then the image feels heavy on the right, so I'd trim away some of the blue. It comes down to what you, the image maker, the artist, wants to leave the viewer with. Lots of red makes the image playful, maybe even childlike, with big bold primary colors and wide brushstrokes, which I think ties in so nicely with the Peek-a-boo pose. On the other hand, if you want something quieter, more restful feeling, then I'd trim from the bottom and leave the smooth top in. It's such a beautiful image filled with possibilities, maybe no one right answer here.

Holger Leyrer
02-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I prefer your new improved version. The pose is very cool but the contact is stunning. I like the colors, details and the low angle.

Norm Dulak
02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Gail, your OP was very good but your improved version is terrific. It's quite remarkable!

dankearl
02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
The last one works for me...
What cool looking ducks they are!

Frank Schauf
02-27-2014, 12:52 AM
Your new improved version is beautiful. Sharp and well composed.

christopher galeski
02-27-2014, 01:08 AM
very nice Gail,love the improved version,a unique pose,sharp with good detail.well done.