View Full Version : Prickly food.

keith mitchell
02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Brown Hare .
Nikon D4
Nikon 300ml 2.8
1/640@F6.3
iso 1000.
Afraid it's only a common Hare a bit mundane with elephant's,Polar Bears and all of the other great stuff that is posted on here.
Spent a lot of time studying these hares and there food intake, even though this one spent it's time on a piece of land planted with maze for game bird feed and cover you can see that the maze as been pretty much left alone and this on seems to like thistles which will certainly please the farmer.
C&C much appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi Keith - Bet this one also qualifies for this month's theme "My Local Wildlife." We welcome all non-avian and non-macro wildlife so never hesitate to post an appropriate image. The hare definitely has a caught in the cabbage patch look. Nice pov and detail. The surrounding plants add to the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-26-2014, 04:45 AM
I like the soft light and the behaviour captured, Keith. How relaxed was it - any chance to get even lower (although the two leaves in front would then have been more prominent)?
Overall I might tweak some on the colour balance - some cyan and green coming through to my eyes?

keith mitchell
02-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks Rachel and Morkel,I have worked on the colour balance and reduced the cyan and the green ,not sure if I converted the profile on the original so have done so, please let me know if I have improved it.
Thanks Keith.

Steve Kaluski
02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Hi Keith, cracking shot even from 6k miles away :S3:, having him/her nibbling on the vegetation is pretty cool too.

I agree with Morkel about the cyan, but I would leave the green as is. Adjusting the green in HSL (I will explain when back in about 3 weeks), but I think it will give you a better result. An excellent image for "My local wildlife', a really great contender.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
02-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi Keith,
pretty nice shot of a hare.
Nice overall look with good tonality and detail.
Color issue already mentioned , but i would leave the greens as per OP.
I would sharpen a fraction and add some points in the mid tones for a bit more depth in the subject selectively .
If you have a bit room on LHS would good , to get the whole plant in, just my take.
TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
02-26-2014, 12:28 PM
I like the original it looks very natural to me. I wouldn't change anything - looks great to me!!

Ashleigh Scully
02-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Hi - I also like the original and agree that maybe you should try to keep the whole plant that its eating. You sure got close to this rabbit with the 300mm! They would run away from me if I ever got this close.

keith mitchell
02-27-2014, 03:39 AM
Thanks for your tips and comments, Ashleigh these are Brown Hares and are very skittish and more difficult to approach than Rabbits, but with a bit of scrim netting on my car and a lot of patience I do get close, in fact some times to close for a 300ml.

Still not sure if the work I did on the colour balance as improved the image?

Keith.

Jamie Douglas
02-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Hi Keith, not an easy critter to get close to so kudos on doing so with a 300mm. Is it possible to set up a small hide in this location? Something to consider maybe.

keith mitchell
02-28-2014, 03:33 AM
Thanks Jamie, have tried a hide and it does work well ,but maybe not as comfortable as my car.

Keith.:S3: