Dave Spates
02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Nikon D7000; 300mm f/4 + 1.4x teleconverter
1/200 sec; f/8; ISO 100; Tripod
Lightly cropped, light sharpening in PScc

Thanks in advance for looking :)

keith mitchell
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM
This is cute ,II would like to see a bit more of that super BG at the top ,the Chipmunk itself is excellent.

Keith.

Rachel Hollander
02-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi Dave - Welcome to the Wildlife Forum. I think this would qualify for this month's theme "My Local Wildlife." Great pose with nice detail and sharpness. I'm ok with the room at top but would like a little more below. Your image does not have an embedded color profile. See Steve's sticky at the top of the forum on Saving for Web which includes how to embed a sRGB color profile for best viewing on the web. In my experience these chipmunks are more brown then red so I would look at dropping the reds a fair amount in a hue/saturation layer. There's also a dust spot on the left side. Looking forward to seeing more of your wildlife images.

It would be great if you also posted your thoughts on other people's wildlife images. We recommend posting comments on at least 3-5 other images in the wildlife forum each time you post your own image. It's the best way to get the most out of BPN, for us to all learn from each other and fosters a sense of community.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Hi Dave, nice pose you captured here with a squeaky clean background.
Rachel brought up some good points - I'd have liked it if you framed slightly higher as it's very tight at the bottom (with foot borderline clipped). It's worth reducing the reds and I'd look at blacks/contrast as well as the darker detail seems choked up.

Glad to have you posting, and looking forward to more of your work as well as your inputs on the photos of others.
:cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
02-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi Dave,
welcome to the wildlife forum take your time and participate and learn in here.
Nice cute starter , some issues like color , contrast / blacks and comp are already covered by Morkel and Rachel.
Nothing more to add from my side.
Have fun in here

Cheers and TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Hi Dave, & a belated welcome. All the main issues covered, if this is almost FF then perhaps removing the converter would have given you a better platform for cropping. Opening up the shadow areas like the eye certainly bring in a huge amount of detail, Perhaps also selectively adjusting the exposure also brings back some lost detail/tone/depth in the OP, but doing it either in LR/PS or as an adjustment layer will help.

TFS
Steve

Dave Spates
02-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Thank you for the critiques everyone, can't believe I missed the dust spot !! lol

Jamie Douglas
02-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Welcome aboard Dave and you beat me to it regarding the dust spots :tinysmile_shy_t:. I see three but they can be easily fixed.

Anyway I don't want you to think I am the dust spot guy so I'll move on and say great first post and you are in the right place if you are looking for great advice and feedback.