PDA

View Full Version : Weevil - Belize

Steve Maxson
02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
My daughter found this large (about 2 inches long) Weevil when we were in Belize last September at the BugShot workshop. It had interesting rufous "hairs" along its long snout and it is on the trunk of a rainforest tree festooned with vines and mosses. 1D IV, 100 mm, 0.5 sec, f/13, ISO 400, tripod, mirror lock, cable release, natural light. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jerry van Dijk
02-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Very cool beetle, Steve, it seems your stock of critters from Belize is nearly endless! Talking about biodiversity.....
I like the enviromental shot you present here, because it emphasizes the size of this beetle. At the same time I think it is overpowerd by all the structures around it. I think I'd opt for a closer crop, eliminating as much of the thick root/branch on the right, which is the element that distracts me most.

Jonathan Ashton
02-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Lovely shot, I wonder if the greens are just a tad over saturated? The weevil has beautiful lighting showing amazing detail. The thick creepers are dominant but I don't mind at all - it looks natural to me.

Mitch Haimov
03-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Very interesting subject, Steve. Can't help but wonder at the evolutionary advantage of that long, fuzzy schnoz. (I know the proportional length, if not the fuzz, is characteristic of many weevil species, but don't necessarily expect such features to scale linearly of such a large size range.)

I had no idea there was such a thing as a two inch weevil! Would hate to find a bunch of those in my flour...

Cheryl Slechta
03-07-2014, 03:58 PM
What a wild looking thing! Great detail. I think I'd prefer a crop from the bottom and the greens seem a little over saturated to me too but maybe they're that green in Belize with all their sunshine and water:S3:

Steve Maxson
03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree that the greens could be toned down a bit. :S3: