PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lake - Canadian Rockies

Jay Gould
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Here is one from a Darwin Wiggett TSE Workshop; six months later goodbye Canon/hello Olympus.

May 10 '13; 7:52PM
5D3; TSE24
0.6@f/8; ISO 100

Jay Gould
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Would you believe the time is supposed to read 7 : 5 2 P M without any spaces!

I think when you type : 5 without the space it sees the genius computer sees a high 5!

dankearl
02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Nice sweeping comp Jay, it takes you right throughout the photo.
Nice to see you post again, Keep them coming.

Linda Dulak
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Jay: This is beautiful! The lines take your eye right through the image to the mountains. Well seen and photographed.

Linda

Norm Dulak
02-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Hi Jay.

Beautiful scene, composition and colors. And it's great to see you posting here again. :cheers:

Cheryl Slechta
02-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Jay, the composition really draws your eyes into the scene. I think it'd look great with just the foreground - wonderful textures and subtle colors there.:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Hey Jay, great to see posting again...hope to see many, many more new posts from you.

I love the cracked mud...so cool and draws the viewer right into the image...my only suggestions are to perhaps darken the most distant mountains just a tiny bit and perhaps adjust the darkest blue in the sky - top edge center (maybe try selective color and reduce the blacks on both blue and cyan)

Keep 'em coming!!!

Don Railton
02-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi Jay, I like what you have done here. its a very nice image, although as you might have gathered from my previous post I am a lover of mountains. As such my approach with this shot would have been to shoot landscaped instead of portrait probably from a lower POV and longer glass to try and increase the amount of mountain in the shot with respect to the amount of mud. Going lower would still maintain the flaked mud full width in the foreground which I agree is an important draw into the image... thanks for showing..

regards

DON

Diane Miller
02-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Wonderful scene and great job with the tilt, getting the plane of focus just right! Not easy!

Morkel Erasmus
02-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Mate, good to see you posting again! :5
Love the composition here, really good depth and taking the viewer right through.
I do feel it might be a tad on the "light" side overall, a slight adjustment to overall luminosity should provide more tonal depth, particularly in the mountains and sky.
Cheers!

Jay Gould
02-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi Jay, I like what you have done here. its a very nice image, although as you might have gathered from my previous post I am a lover of mountains. As such my approach with this shot would have been to shoot landscaped instead of portrait probably from a lower POV and longer glass to try and increase the amount of mountain in the shot with respect to the amount of mud. Going lower would still maintain the flaked mud full width in the foreground which I agree is an important draw into the image... thanks for showing..

regards

DON

Hi Don, While that might be both of our approaches at a different time, this was specifically a TSE 24mm workshop; as such I didn't even carry any other glass! Curious how high you think I was when I shot this? Answer the question for yourself; actual height about 1 1/2'! Cheers,

Jay Gould
02-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts; for some reason I did not receive emails when replies were posted except for the first reply! Yes, I will post more; that is a promise. Cheers,

David Stephens
02-26-2014, 03:10 PM
I love that the beautiful mountain-scape is juxtaposed with the sorry state of the low reservoir. It tells two stories simultaneously, of mountain beauty and water shortage. The Colorado Rockies experienced similar drought conditions, but now, most of the state is back to full reservoirs (the Southeast still suffers). Anyway, it's an elegant message, documenting conditions. For my wall, I'd rather not see the reality of the cracked mud, but to document the extremes, you've hit the nail on the head.

Don Railton
02-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi Jay, I would have placed this at ~3 feet.. I forgot you were a TSE owner.. Still love the image, hope the workshop was fruitful.

regards

DON

Jay Gould
02-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi Jay, I would have placed this at ~3 feet.. I forgot you were a TSE owner.. Still love the image, hope the workshop was fruitful.

regards

DON

No longer have heavy Canon Equipment. Now Olympus EM-1 and Panasonic lenses. Yes, there are trades; love the light new system.

Rachel Hollander
02-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi Jay - welcome back! I really like the parched earth here and the leading lines. Nobody else has mentioned it but I might back off on the sharpening (or the Detail Extractor if you used it) on the scree hill to the right and the water just a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
02-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi Jay - welcome back! I really like the parched earth here and the leading lines. Nobody else has mentioned it but I might back off on the sharpening (or the Detail Extractor if you used it) on the scree hill to the right and the water just a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

Hi Rachel, Thanks for taking the time to comment. Only a bit of sharpening; that is the beauty of a TSE lens!