PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Cooper Hawk

Glenn Conlan
02-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Out yesterday morning with Dave Salem and we got some shots at a nice adult female Coopers Hawk that was hunting sparrows from an old fence post. She made an attempt on some birds in the brush below her by running down this leaning fence post that she was perched on. This is a shot of her running back up the post after missing her prey. This was a first for us to capture a Coopers out in the open we could not get that close to her, this is a pretty good crop. Shot from my car window on a bean bag.
D4 600mm w 1.4tc
ISO 1250
1/1600sec
F 5.6 Manuel exp.

dankearl
02-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Cool pose, with a pretty BG but maybe needs some features to it?
I think a touch more contrast would look good.

Marina Scarr
02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Lucky you getting this Coopers and it's a fun cool pose with a nice BG. I am not seeing the kind of feather details I like in this one though. I think you needed a little more DOF. Shooting wide open with a TC doesn't always lend itself to the sharpest of images.

Jim Crosswell
02-23-2014, 09:16 PM
I like the walking pose, composition and the determined look of the hawk. Nice image Glenn.

Daniel Cadieux
02-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I like that "climbing" pose, quite different...and it has a look of determination on its face too. The light quality is very nice, but with that light angle a slight turn of the head towards us would have better lit the eye and face...but yes, wild subjects do not cooperate this way all the time:S3:

Loi Nguyen
02-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Glenn, cool shot of a cooper hawk in an unusual pose. The light direction isn't ideal, but you had no choice here. Since it is a big crop, I think you did very well with the IQ. TFS. Loi