PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Waterfall

David Kenny
02-22-2014, 08:26 PM
This one is from last January. Polarizer filter used. I gave it a black and white treatment with a bluish tint (to emphasize the cold) and made some other adjustments in LR as well to get this look. I tried to go back and reshoot this scene this year with a new lens but the falls is pretty much iced over. Interested to hear what you guys think.

ISO 100
@300mm
f/ 22
1/4 second exp

- Dave

Don Railton
02-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Hi Dave

Certainly looks cold to me.. Could do with a bit of that in Perth at the moment, we are into our 3rd heatwave for the year... Not good weather for photography.

I think this image is cropped at bit tight, I would like to see all of the falls to the left for instance, and not having water comming in from the side. Not sure if thats possible, you dont say this is full frame or not. I also think you have a lot of detail that simple sharpening will bring up, so that is another suggestion you can look at. The RP i have done has simply had the HP sharpening Morkel lists in the sticky above. WDYR?

Note also that you can post at 1200 x 800 pixels, this is well under that.

regards

DON

David Kenny
02-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Yes this is full frame. I was trying to capture a different shot then the standard full waterfall shot here. I do like the sharpening you did. It pulls out more detail in the ice. Thank you.

Jay Gould
02-23-2014, 06:44 PM
I like the sharpening. I might consider a crop in from the right to remove the sliver of ice and allow the waterfall to simply appear.

Too cold for me!

Rachel Hollander
02-24-2014, 08:47 PM
David - good suggestions above. I like what Don has done with the rp.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
02-24-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't like the repost, way over sharpened and too contrastly.
I like the OP better, a bit more at the top would have been nice.

Andrew McLachlan
02-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Hi David, I really like the framing of this scene...I could shoot these scenes all day...for my it is just a tad too blue and I would like to see the sharpening somewhere between the OP and Don's repost. Nice work!

andresleon
02-28-2014, 03:33 PM
The composition is terrific! Love how the silky water slowly and gently guide my eyes down.

I also think that the report is much too sharp. The ice ans snow seem to give a dreamy, cloudy, effect that soothes the view. Adding sharpness reduces this feeling. Thanks for sharing!