PDA

View Full Version : Woman from India

Nancy Bell
02-22-2014, 07:44 PM
The women of India truly fascinate me. They represent so many complex layers of culture, history and perseverance. I wish I had the nerve to actually approach them and take their pictures with their full knowledge. But that then changes their expressions, which I don't want. So I chicken out and use a telephoto. Plus I certainly do not want them to think I am "a thoughtless American tourist wanting to capture how curious these women dress".

I used topaz clean 3, crisp style and a touch of topaz simplify buz sim desaturate.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Very subtle processing Nancy. Even though you can't see her face completely and the eyes are almost in darkness, she has a world weary expression. I also like the light to dark in the direction she is looking. This is really well done. Would this have been the 70-200?

Anita Bower
02-23-2014, 07:40 AM
This is a fascinating portrait! I love the position of the head and body. The color of her clothes are scrumptious. They seem to contrast with her face--the color and shape suggests a young woman, but the face is of an old woman. Wonderful!
I wonder about reducing the filter on her face, as the face looks a bit unreal, sort of like a mask. It almost looks like it is on top of the clothes. I like the dark and light contrasts. A wonderful image.

Randall Farhy
02-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Nancy, Anita nailed it with the mask comment- though I think it adds to the overall image in an abstract and surreal way. Only thing I might play with would be to burn in slightly the white applique where the sunlight hits the dress, it feels a bit hot. This is a fascinating piece.

Nancy Bell
02-23-2014, 02:52 PM
I incorporated the suggestions above, I smoothed her skin some and slightly burned the white applique.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Very subtle changes, I like the decrease in the lines in the face. Anita has a sharp eye!

Dennis Bishop
02-23-2014, 05:49 PM
The colors, the lighting, and the background all work together to make a great dramatic image. I'd probably not have noticed it on my own, but I like the smoothed wrinkles a bit better. I'd love to know more about her, and that adds a great deal to the visual appeal of the image.

Anita Bower
02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm the odd woman out. I'm still not fond of the enhanced lines on her face. But, that is just me.

Randall Farhy
02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
I like the reduction in wrinkles, not sure I'd go too much further in smoothing them out as they would no longer be as compelling. Focus might shift to the darkened eyes and contrast on the face-which are currently strong supporting elements. Tough call without side by side comparisons. Something about this one really holds the viewers interest.

Cheryl Slechta
02-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Nancy, I love the shot - it makes you get caught up in what she's thinking, what her life must be like. Love the colors and I'm sure the original without any filters is a work of art.:S3:

Nancy Bell
02-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Thank you Cheryl. I never used to even "see" people when I carried my camera, always looking for something in nature. But now I am finding I am becoming more interested in people, and these Indian woman are especially intriguing.